Abnormal AW battery consumption pattern.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leoskkang, Oct 7, 2016.

1. leoskkang macrumors member

leoskkang

I am currently using AW2 38mm. Its battery life had been really good. This morning when I wore it at 100% charged it suddenly started to drop 1% every 4-5 minutes.

I did hard reset by pressing the two buttons and the issue was resolved.
    Is this normal? Does AW need a regular hard reset?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's difficult to say if it's normal or not. If it occurs again, re-pair the Watch your iPhone.

3. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Sometimes I see strange behaviours too.
    This morning the battery dropped to 90% in less than an hour and the Watch was next to the bed, still locked. I just plugged the charger off and had breakfast, a shower etc.
    Now I have 35% left so it dropped by 55% in about 10 hours, I'd say this is normal power consumption since Apple says Watch can last 18 hours on a single charge.

4. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

I know that the watch can last up to 18 hours on a single charge but what I am wondering is why would the rate of battery drainage change? As I said before, normally my watch battery drops from 100% to 90% when it standbys for about 5 hours but sometimes it only lasts 1 hour for 10% use of battery.

And if I do hard reset the watch it comes back to normal rate of battery drainage... strange isn't it?

I contacted Apple support and the guy said I have to turn off the watch often. So I tried to turn off/on every night but I am still experiencing the same issue.

5. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I noticed that when I turn the Watch off the battery lasts longer the following day.
    I turned it off Sunday, and yesterday I went to bed with nearly 50% left. Today is 3pm in my timezone and I'm already at 55% of battery life, so this evening I'm going to bed with less than 30%. Maybe tomorrow I'll have even less battery available at bedtime, who knows?
    I don't like to turn my devices off and on frequently, but at least until a new version of watchOS is released I think I'll turn it off at least once a week.