abnormal RAM usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nielsh, May 29, 2011.

1. Nielsh macrumors member

Hi ya'll
    I've got my MBP for 2 months now, and I'm very satisfied with it.

But now there's one problem, which is really annoying me: After a few hours of computer usage (say 3-4) I just need to restart, beceause the RAM is literally full.

I know this normally has to do with applications, but even after a restart with no applications running, there's only like 1,5GB free (of the 4).

I'm a Logic and Sibelius user, and both programs are RAM intensive, due this problem I can't even use them both at the same time.

I'm sure 4GB needs to be enough.

Thanks in advance,

Niels.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Honestly, I would suggest upgrading the RAM to 8GB, it doesn't cost that much anymore and you'd see the benefit from the upgrade.

3. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

I figured that out indeed :p Well, I'm really low at money at the moment, but when I have some, I'll definitely do.

But what I'm worrying about, if this is indeed a ram-filling bug, It'll fill uo my 8gb too...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why do you want free RAM? That's RAM you paid for that's sitting there doing nothing useful.

5. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

You don't get it.

If there is some kind of memory leak in my system, then my 8GB will be completely filled up too.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I do get it. I don't think you do. The system will use "unused" RAM for a number of things like caching commonly/currently in use files. This speeds up the the system. If an application needs this RAM the system will make it available for use. So my question still stands: why do you want free RAM? What will RAM not being used do for you?

7. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

Well, I don't quite like it when my sound start cracking and applications hang. Because that's exactly what happens when my memory is full at the moment.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So if you use Activity Monitor what is using all the RAM?

9. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

Firefox is using like 300mb. and following is microsoft word, which uses 93mb, and then finder with 75mn, followed by itunes with 68mb.
    Those were all the big users.

Now the point is, that if I'd add all used RAM by all the applications running in activity monitor, it doesn't even come close to 4GB..

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you just showing your processes? Or all processes? On my system right now processes not owned by me (so not showing unless All Processes is chosen) are using at least 700Mb.

Also note Inactive Memory is effectively free: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

11. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

Oh right, now I selected all processes, and it becomes a little more clear.. The 4gb is indeed reachable now.
    Kernel task is using 600mb.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst that's about twice what my kernel task is using it is not evidence of a memory leak. If it was leaking memory it's usage would grow over time and not reduce.

13. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

Well, it actually does, when I restart I've got 1,5 free, and the longer my computer is switched on, even wthout doeing anything, the memory usage grows quite a lot, till it's full.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you counting free as Free + Inactive as I pointed out above?

15. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

Well, even when there is no free memory, but there is like 200mb inactive, the sound of my computer starts cracking, and youtube vids start stuttering and the system hangs over time..

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then you need to work out which process is the issue. You need to monitor them over time and see what is causing the issue.

17. Abdou2004 macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem as the host mentioned with the details apps keep filling ram indefinitely chrome begins to stutter while watching game that usually take 4 or 5 GB starts to stack till the RAM get's full. I had an incident before this and that's the computer shut down on it's own like someone removed the power from it not long ago and i suspect that it has a relation to what is going on.

18. Ries macrumors 68000

4GB may have been enough for running windows 95, but today 8 is barely enough if you use applications that use a lot of memory. My 2011 hovers at 7GB excluding file cache using standard apps (safari/mail/notes/..) with 2 GB being non-swapable (wired memory). Also the integrated GPU is allocating a good chunk of memory for texture/buffers out of those 4GB since it doesn't have dedicated memory.

Your system slows because it swaps memory to disk.

19. Abdou2004 macrumors newbie

I still didn't figure out where is exactly the issue but i have 12 GB on a win 7. I noticed that when the stutter comes the chrome tab reaches 1.2 GB and cpu usage spikes from 2% to 44% and then i can't even move the mouse's cursor only if i stop the video so i can close, reload a new tab and resume watching