Abnormal watch battery...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    normally by a particular time of day my watch battery is between 70-90%. Today I glanced at my watch at the same time of day and noticed the battery was at 40% and dropping like a rock!?
    Absolutely nothing was done any different today. Everyday I've had the watch the battery life has been consistent! Thoughts?

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Backup, un-pair and re-pair it. That usually solves it for most.

(Encrypted backup in iTunes or iCloud backup will work. Also it does a backup when you in-pair it, but I always find its better safe than sorry to manually do one just in case before hand.)

3. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

If you haven't done anything recent - like upgrade to os2 in the past 24 hours, you may be able to get away with a cold boot of the watch. Charge it back up and see.

4. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

I'm not sure that's really much information? Just because the % changes at any part of the day, doesn't mean it'll consistantly be that way unless you run it through an entire day and see how much is lasting. Does it get through an entire day with any to spare?

5. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

I normally put on my watch between 3-5am by 9pm ish I am always above 40. I was at <35% at 1pm today...
    Battery life today is definitely abnormal.

6. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

How do you do a cold boot?

7. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I had something similar happen today. My watch seemed to be in quite a funk. Siri wouldn't respond, apps were crashing left and right, nothing seemed to be right. Everything on the watch face was working, but that's it. Then at about 2:00 I got the notice that I was down to 10%. Normally I go to bed with 50% battery left. Restarting the watch and charging it back to 50% seems to have taken care of things. All I can think is that there was a run away process somewhere.

8. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

Have either of you checked the battery status on the phone to see if maybe the phone watch app was syncing more than usual? It should be about 1%~ on any given day pending you don't go nuts and sync a bunch of crap. Additionally, For it to be a one off day, it's more likely to be an app than anything. with Watch OS2, many developers updated the apps, but didn't take full advantage of being able to use the watch exclusively. I use an app called Battle Camp, and it leaves a little monster on my watch ( like the old tamagachi's ), and it drains the battery because it's constantly looking for the phone to tell it if the monster is dead or alive.
    Another issue may be the bluetooth signal, are you noticing the watch is on WIFI more than usual? When i'm at home i get better life as i am usually on wifi with the watch, and it works wonders. I work from home, so I probably have it a little better than most.

Any recent app installs, even if you think they may not be the culprit, it's important to know what you installed, maybe i can attempt to replicate :)

9. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Nope phone has been in my pocket the whole time at work. Wifi all the time on my phone. No reason for Apple Watch to need the wifi.
    I did install the united airlines app earlier this week... Maybe three days ago. But shouldn't be the culprit as it hasn't been notifying me of anything.
    Apple Watch app is at 1% of my phone battery so all good there...

10. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Charging mine now so we'll see !

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

think it's getting to me now.

started work at 80% and 12 hours later only got 5% left

ugh

12. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Nope, none of this. I haven't installed a new watch app in days, and my usage of the watch was actually lower than it's been recently. I just checked my battery usage history, and the watch app wasn't listed at all for the last 24 hours. Not sure what was going on, and I did get some further strange behavior later in the day, though I didn't notice the battery drain this time. Ended up doing a hard reboot of both the phone and the watch and that took care of it once and for all.

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Hold down the favorites butting until you see the option to power off. Then fully charge and it fixes this problem many times.

After that it could be a bad app or unpair and re-pair.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've encountered this same problem. My Apple Watch was doing great on battery life. I was Watch os2 Beta and all was good. Upgraded to Watch os2 (not beta) and it went to pot. As an example, when I got up to check on the girls in the middle of the night, I put my watch on, it was 1:44 AM, battery was at 100%. At 5:30 AM when I got up, my watch was at 44%. The Apple Watch and iPhone are in DND mode from 9 PM - 4 AM.

I just powered it off and am recharging it to do the cold boot. If this doesn't work, I'll do the unpaid and re-pair. Very frustrating.