Abnormally low geekbench and cinebench scores....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earthdan, Jul 13, 2009.

1. earthdan macrumors member

Hey all,

I posted my geekbench scores in the comparison thread but I think this may warrant a new thread also.....hopefully:)

I have a mid 2009 15 inch MBP, with 2.8 ghz, 4 gb ram, and 512 9600m gt, with the 1.7 efi update.

It appears that my geekbench (~2300) and cinebench (~3700 with the 9600m gt) scores in Leopard are much lower than others have found with similar configs, or even slower configs.

I honestly don't care about the actual numbers as the computer feels quite fast with day-to-day use. My problem is that I have been testing out call of duty 4 and quake 4, and it seems that they can get a little choppy sometimes. I was under the impression that this system would rip through these slightly older games.

On a side note, I also tried the game Prototype through bootcamp (Win7) and it is very smooth (although very hot).

I am aware that macs are not meant for gaming and I will see much better performance in Win 7. But due to the lower benchmark scores from geekbench/cinebench combined with laggy performance in those games in Leopard, I think there might actually be something wrong with my system/software.

Does anyone have any insight as to why I would get this and possibly any advice on how I can get my mbp up to speed?

thanks very much for any replies,

Dan

2. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

the GPU'S int he mbp's are not hard core gamer cards. they can preform but they can not push the boundaries. i play WoW at 1920x1200 and get like 40-60fps and that game is old as hell.

3. GeJohnO macrumors newbie

Those scores do seem a bit low. The first time I ran CB/GB, I had other programs going as well, and it threw my score off by about 500 points. Try running them on a fresh restart, it might help.

4. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies, I tried rebooting and then running again but I got similar scores again.

Kinda wierd actually, when running cinebench, I get the same scores with the 9400 as I do with the 9600. Wierd.....

edit: i get ~3500 for the 9400 and 3800 for the 9600

5. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

Well, I feel a little dumb.

I had been playing around with coolbook and even tho the program wasn't running, it still detected the voltage settings. Essentially I was running my mbp severely throttled.

I am now getting 6096 on cinebench with the 9600m gt!

Geekbench is also giving me a proper score at around 3800.

Thanks for listening to my problem and solution!

cheers,
    Dan

edit: The gaming performance is waaaaay better now too. Pretty smooth at maxed settings...

6. nks06 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm scoring low too... I'm getting 2887 for the single core, and 4894 for multiple cores. I'm running the latest uMBP (2.66 4gb 10.6.2) and I KNOW it should be a lot faster. Any thoughts? I did a fresh install of 10.6.2 yesterday, so I know it's nothing I've installed

Any thoughts?