Abnormally low inactive memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan27, Aug 21, 2011.

1. sportsfan27 macrumors newbie

Back in March I bumped up the RAM in my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro to 8GB. It was honestly the best decision I've ever made; virtually every application opened in one bounce, maybe two. My computer was the fastest it had ever been, until about a month ago when it seemed to hang at certain times. But then all of my applications started to take much longer to open. I took a peek at the System Memory in the Activity Monitor and I noticed that the inactive memory was a lot smaller than it normally was. It used to be that it would take up well over a gig, if not 2 or more. Now it rarely gets over 400MB, usually hovering at around 250-350MB. Consequently, I usually have around 4.5-5GB of free memory, which is kind of a drag because it's pretty much wasted. I feel like something's wrong but I don't really know what or how to solve it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you can always go to utilities, folder in applications and then disk utilities. check disk permissions see if there are any problems there. also have you installed any new programs? check activity monitor to see what processes are running.