Abnormally Poor Internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toonarmy, Sep 9, 2010.

1. toonarmy macrumors newbie

So I recently moved into a new apartment with my 2 roommates, one of which has a macbook, while the other has a desktop that is plugged directly into the router. My macbook roomie has no issues with the wifi.

I, however, have been having numerous issues. It mostly seems to be with posting things, sending emails, logging into websites, and playing videos. 9/10 times I can't post topics onto message boards or update my facebook status. My Gmail almost always works well, while my college email can't send a thing. On twitter I often cannot load the next set of tweets. I was trying to order a textbook online today, I added to cart, and when I went to complete the checkout, the connection timed out.

I can do all of these things, however, on the wifi network on campus at school.

Basically what I'm asking is, is this a problem on my end that I can fix? I doubt that the problem lies with our internet providers, because I can have my laptop side by side with my roommates, and he has no issues.

Sorry for the long post, but any help is appreciated!!!

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Try going into your Airport settings, deleting all previously known networks, turn off airport, turn it back on and re-connect.

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Have you cleared your cache perhaps? Tried a different browswer like Chrome or Firefox? Is the issue replicated offsite on another network? Try and go to a Starbucks or something and try it out in a public setting to see if it's an issue with your Mac.

Good luck!

4. toonarmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've tried both of these things, but its still hit or miss.

I've gone on campus and used my laptop there with no problems, so I don't think thats the issue.

Also, my room is the farthest from the router, but even when I move right near it its still fairly slow.

5. toonarmy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

The solution would be to take your MBP closer to your router in an other room.

The MBP is just crap with wireless. I can have a $500 laptop sitting right beside my MBP with great internet but not on the MBP. This only happens on the upper floor though. Everywhere else it functions fine.

It's just funny that a $2000 laptop has worse wireless than a $500 laptop.

So just move it closer to the router. It works fine everywhere else but the 3rd floor here. :)

edit: Or you can buy a new router. Some Apple employee told me that all my problems with the MBP would be solved with an airport extreme, but I haven't tried it.

7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Um...

Please don't take this person's narrow view of a MBPs wireless strength into account. I've had two aluminum MBPs and their wireless connectivity is STELLAR.

Maybe instead of accepting his MBP's weak signal compared to his pc, he could go to a genius bar or call applecare and figure out if he possibly has a defective wireless controller or other issue.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if the MBP's wireless is as bad as mark28 said it is, but it's certainly not as good as the plastic MacBooks, and generally speaking, has always been relatively poor.

This goes as far back to previous generation MBPs, and even back to the iBook and PowerBook days, where the iBook's WiFi (if you bothered getting an Airport card installed) was better than the PowerBook's. This is due to the aluminium casing. I know there are plastic bits where the antenna is located, but there was on the PowerBook as well, and it still meant the signal wasn't as strong as many plastic laptops out there.

9. toonarmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah Im just gonna take it to the genius bar. The weird things that I cant get over are that my roommates have no problems, and that my computer is fine at the network on campus.

10. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Are you located in a different part of the house? I have to go through the kitchen before I get to my family room, and there is a microwave in the kitchen. Microwaves can decrease cell signal as well as cordless phones that use the same frequency etc.

11. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Try changing the wireless channel number on the router.

12. carl l macrumors newbie

Good post. I've had issues with both of my MBPs when other laptops and my former plastic Macbook have worked just fine.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never meant to imply that a MBP's wireless won't work, but given a certain amount of WiFi signal at a particular location, a plastic MB will always/usually get a better signal due to the fact that it's made of plastic.

With regards to non-Macs.....I suppose there's variations in the strength of the WiFi antenna/hardware chosen for the laptop.

I don't remember which one it is, but either notebookreviews.com or Laptop Magazine include WiFi signal strength as part of their laptop reviews. Check their websites.