Abode Announces 'Iota' HomeKit-Compatible Home Security Gateway and Camera

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Abode Systems today announced the iota, an all-in-one security camera that's designed to offer security and integration with other smart home products.

The iota features a 1080p camera that can be used for home monitoring purposes, along with a built-in gateway that supports Z-Wave, ZigBee, and abode RF for connecting to hundreds of other devices. Native app support is included for many major smart home brands like Nest, ecobee, Philips Hue, and LIFX.

[​IMG]

Included HomeKit compatibility also allows the iota to interface with HomeKit devices, and it's also been designed to work with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Through the accompanying Abode app, users can get detailed alerts and notifications when notable events are recorded by the camera.

Live video streaming is available through the Abode app or through the Home app, and while saving recorded footage beyond three days requires an Abode subscription, in the event of an alarm, clips are automatically uploaded to the Abode timeline regardless of plan. Plans are offered on an on-demand basis and can be purchased in three or seven day increments, with longer monthly and annual plans also available.

[​IMG]

Design wise, the iota is cylindrical in shape and features a black and white fabric-covered design that allows it to blend with most decor. It connects to a home using Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and a built-in battery keeps it powered on for 10 hours even when the power goes out. There's also an option for backup LTE connectivity to make sure that the iota is always connected.

Abode plans to begin selling the iota during the first quarter of 2018 for $329. Existing Abode customers will be able to upgrade to the new iota gateway, with Abode to provide instructions and pricing for doing so at a later date.

Article Link: Abode Announces 'Iota' HomeKit-Compatible Home Security Gateway and Camera

2. xraydoc, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Does it run Photoshop, too?

Edit: and yes, I know the company is “Abode” and not “Adobe”, but I was trying to be funny, lol.

3. XTOTHEL macrumors newbie

4. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Only while you subscribe...

5. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Does one really need 1080p for home monitoring purposes?

6. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

It would come in handy in identifying suspects.

7. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

4K minimum. ;)

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Black and white? I need one in plaid or paisley to match my decor.

9. Onexy macrumors regular

Onexy

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I own an Abode system and have so far been very happy with the quality of their products. I had been researching security systems for years and this was the only one that checked all my boxes. Just wish I had known they were coming out with this a few months later!

11. MhzDoesMatter macrumors regular

Curious.

I read the announcement and I'm still not sure about the gateway functionality. Is the device controllable by Z-wave, Zigbee and RF solutions? Or is it acting as a bridge to those protocols, capable of controlling those devices through it's app? If the latter, does it pass along that control to homekit & Siri?

I won't invest in Hue because I don't want a bridge taking up space. If one is already included in a useful device, I'd feel better about it.

12. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Useful when you have to zoom in on a face. Most current systems are so low res that it's impossible to make out any meaningful detail.

13. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Glad I’m not the only one that read this as Adobe.

14. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

And really, it's not like 1080p cameras are expensive to make anyway. That's old hat at this point.

15. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Agree. They're probably charging so much as they're gonna need the money for when they get sued by Ring for copying their doorbell design!

16. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Nothing to do with cost of the camera. Has to do with 720p probably being adequate even to see faces and not requiring transmission of 1080p bandwidth. Just a thought anyway.

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

I have an Abode system and like it quite a bit--it was the only DIY home security system that checked all the boxes I wanted (app, works even without a contract, short-term pro monitoring if you want it), and thus far it's lived up to just about everything it promised to do.

Its one failing is lack of HomeKit support, and I don't have a live camera (just the still photo battery camera that comes with the base system), so this is pretty appealing as an upgrade without having to replace sensors.

Since the list price for the base system is already $330, if this comes with a couple of door sensors and motion detectors like the existing base does, then it's actually a really good deal--basically adding Homekit support and a live view camera at the same price as the existing system.

The question is, how much is the upgrade going to cost for existing owners. I can't really justify $330, but if it's reasonable enough (maybe with a trade-in of the base you've already got?), I'll probably go for it.

Aside: The Ecobee integration is neat. I can have my alarm automatically set itself and turn off the heater when I leave the house using geofencing, and have it disable itself and turn the heater back on when I'm within a few dozen yards of home.

18. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

I was starting to worry it would need updates every 5-8 days.

19. Windoes macrumors newbie

Windoes

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

According to Abode's subreddit they're going to be adding HomeKit to our current hubs. Just waiting on Apple.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Abode/comments/7p40w6/iota_gateway_questions_response_to_reddit/

21. travisjaymoore macrumors member

I read the entire article as "Adobe" throughout, and was thinking it was a strange but strong initial offering from a software company.
    Didn't figure out it was ABODE until the comments.

22. brutusfly macrumors member

So, when Abode ends support for this Iota some years in the future, I imagine it will only have live feed support through Homekit?
    I'm leaning towards a Neatatmo Welcome or Presence since Neatatmo supports FTP and other storage options.