About 15" MBP Dynamic GPU Switching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheCakeIsALie, Feb 21, 2018.

1. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

Tried searching everywhere for an answer but couldn't find a definitive one. I have a late 2013 15" MBP with a dedicated GPU as well as the Intel integrated one, and the dynamic switching between them causes a very noticeable stutter/freeze which is very annoying. It gets triggered a lot on various websites, and my question is: does the GPU switching stutter still happen on the newer 15" MBP with Touchbar, or is it improved to the point of 100% smooth switching? If it's not improved then I am honestly considering dropping down to a 13" MBP with a single GPU to avoid this.

Also, I do use gfxCardStatus, and know about the forcing dedicated vs integrated options. Both options have their problems though, with forcing dedicated causing battery life and heat issues, and forcing integrated disables external display connections. So I keep it on dynamic switching.

2. leman macrumors G3

Most likely you couldn’t find an answer since the behavior you describe is abnormal in the first place. GPU switching should be completely seamless, no matter your model or year. That you have issues suggests a problem with your particular laptop, either in software or in hardware.

3. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Like leman said, this is not normal behaviour. Have you tried to create a backup, swipe your SSD and do a fresh install of macOS High Sierra?

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

Totally agree with previous posts...

This is not normal behavior. My last MBP was a mid-2014 15” (basically the same as yours) with the Iris Pro and 750M. I was never able to tell when the GPU switched. Frankly, I was shocked at how seemless the transition was. My current 2017 Pro is also completely seemless.

I agree with the previous advice of backing up, wiping SSD, and reinstalling macOS. This would at least rule out software. Most likely...

5. TheCakeIsALie thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, I'll look into solutions for my laptop specifically then. Thanks a lot for your help everyone!