About 1st time using iMac DVD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Choctaw, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I inserted a DVD for the 1st time into my new USB super drive. A splash screen popped up telling me to pick a region on a map......and that I have 5 time I can do that. What's up with this statement. Does it mean after 5 more region choices it won't work. I don't under stand this situation. Can someone advise me concerning this matter.

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. Bear macrumors G3

[/COLOR]
    You can change the region for the drive 5 times then it's locked to the last region you selected. Make sure the last region you select is the one you live in/play discs from normally.

4. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Macman45/Bear......Thanks for your reply. Glad to know someone cares about my simple search for answers. Since I am in the US........will not be choosing any of the other places.

I have not tried the DVD on the PC's in the network. Wonder if the actual DVD has some coding that initiates having to make that selection, and if MS would freeze my DVD player after the 5 regions choices.....with the PC offering the same limitations? Maybe Apple is just playing a fair game by requiring the region selections when using the SuperDrive, but why the restriction of only 5 is a puzzle, one would think it would be open for continued choices. But I am new to the law etc. I did notice on the web address Macman45 gave the following. "region-free DVD players, which ignore region coding, are also commercially available,[1] and many DVD players can be modified to be region-free, allowing playback of all discs.[2]

It would be a real pain to have the SuperDrive infinitely fixed if situations were need to keep changing it. Just for conversation, can the frozen drive be thawed out again on the SuperDrive?

5. Bear macrumors G3

The 5 change limit is in the optical drive, it affects all operating systems. As you noted there are some drives that are region free.

6. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

The DVD from The Great Courses is a professional offering and done in the best tech format. So I am sure the code to request regions will show up on my Dell PC's.

I just wonder how a person could unlock a drive if indeed the 5 regions were reached and afterwords locked.

Thanks for your help

7. Bear macrumors G3

You can't - it will stay in the last region selected.