About a 2011 Macbook refresh..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ana.la, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ana.la macrumors newbie

first of all, i'm sorry for creating yet another topic about the same subject, but i've seen a lot of topics about MBP but couldn't find much about MB.

i'm planning on buying a macbook on the next few months and this is not about waiting for a refresh or buying it now, because i will wait. ~i'm brazilian and i'm not willing to pay R$3099(something like U$1860) on a notebook that is just slightly better than my current one, i have to wait til maybe april anyway so i can buy one from US.

for what i've read here, there probably will be a refresh for MBP in the next few months, right? does that means the MB will also get a refresh? and if it does, will the optical drive be gone? and also, will the base price stay the same or some change on the MB may increase or lower it?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MacBook is usually updated about a month after MBPs. We don't know, for sure, when the MBP or MacBook update will be. If you can't buy it until April, then there is a good chance that the new MacBook is out already. What the upgrade will bring is even bigger mystery.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically they involve spec upgrades with minimal or no price increases

I would be surprised to see the Optical Drive removed this quick
    Eventually, yes, but right now... I doubt it

4. ana.la thread starter macrumors newbie

whoa you guys are fast.

ok, thank you! and this may sound really stupid now, but i gotta ask, there will be a new macbook, right? they won't just kill it, will they?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Again, nobody knows for sure. I can't see Apple killing the MacBook because then Apple would not have a normal laptop for less than 1000$. I bet it's one of their best sellers. If MacBook was killed, then Apple would likely just drop the MBP's price to 999$

6. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

They may kill it, and make the 13" MacBook Pro the new regular MacBook at $999 for the price.

7. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

I think that is what will happen and it'll lose a feature or two in the process. Could it really be called "Pro" if that happens? I just don't see Apple continuing to sell three different 13" notebooks.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple is not likely going to drop the price of the MBP by $200 ... wishful thinking ... Apple prices very rarely go down ... ever :cool:

9. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

What happens more frequently is Apple adds features to maintain the price. In this case, they have three 13" notebooks with overlapping features, confusing customers. One of them has to go, while not abandoning the $999 entry-level price. What would you do?

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

says who?

... if one does go ... maybe it is the white Macbook they keep having to fix the cracking for free on.

The 13" MBP is a huge seller :cool:

11. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

Says me. :D

12. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

So you think Apple should offer only the $999 Air and the $1199 Pro? I don't think that's a good idea.

13. ana.la thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, if that happened i'd have a problem. i'm counting on a $999 macbook that is not the MBA.

14. aCondor macrumors 6502

Apple can continue to have three different 13" laptops. One ultra-thin, one based on "power" (air-quotes because of C2D), and one based on cheaper basic essentials.

There are large consistent markets for each of these.

15. SidBala macrumors 6502a

At the very least we should see a screen res bump on the 13 inchers.

16. BrandinoMino macrumors newbie

I could see them kicking the regular Macbook and bringing the base model 13" MBP to become the regular Macbook for $999. and then only have a 15" and 17" MBP. I've just never understood how "Pro" users can get their work done on such a small screen.

17. dementum macrumors newbie

I hope so, I'd sell this refurb i just bought, just as quick as i bought it, to buy the new one :)

18. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

if they make the macbook pro the new regular $999 computer I would for sure buy one without a second thought.

19. SerrQ macrumors member

SerrQ

I hope they wont quit making the 13" plastic and drop the 13" MB pro to $999, I like the way macbooks line are today. Hope they will just increase the specs and make the plastic a little bit thinner since its kinda thick atm compared to MB pro, I think they can make the white macbook as thin.

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

We get it done with an external monitor in the office/studio. And on the road, we like the super portability. I get plenty of work done on the 13" MBP. My wife likes to check her email on it too. :D

21. LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

I did not know that. Thank you.

22. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Since the 999$ macbook isn't a pro, i could easily see them killing the optical drive in it, and/or using an ssd instead of hdd (like the air).
    What i hope is the SSD becomes the standard, and you select if you want a model with superdrive or a hard drive for more capacity.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSD in MacBook but HD in MBP? Good joke. Even 64GB SSD costs more than a 500GB HD.

24. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

64gb ssd more than 500gb hd? i dont know bout that but ill believe you. but arent the ssd prices dropping soon (i read that somewhere). which means they can afford an 64gb in the macbook (and offer an 128gb too). which means it'll have 4 options like the ipad. 64-128gb models and also each of them has a superdrive or hdd option. they can put a c2d 2,66ghz with 320m combo and add the things i said, would be pretty nice.

edit: and yes, macbook ssd and mbp hdd, why not? the mba is the lowest performance machine and has an ssd.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The cheapest 60/64GB SSDs are around 100$ while the cheapest 500GB HDs are around 50$. Even though SSD prices are coming down all the time, ~50% price drop is quite a lot and won't happen overnight.

For space reasons. Also, it's a different thing since MBA never had more than 128GB in the past. You can't suddenly go from 250GB HD to 64GB SSD.

You are just waking up the same hope people had towards the 2011 MBP. MacBook will be the 13" MBP with some shortcomings, nothing else.