About Apple Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puding, May 22, 2013.

1. puding macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I will be visiting USA in July, and I have an iPhone 4 it's 2 years old, and my battery is becoming a **** and I need a replacement.

I know that Apple Retail Store is able to replace this battery, with about 75 dollars, right?

So I need to know if this is simple, I just need to make an appoitment on Genius Bar and they will replace in the same time?

Another question, my iPhone is jailbroken, so I need to remove it? And yes, Its out of warranty."

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the past, a battery replacement meant giving them your old phone and they'd hand you a replacement phone (with a new battery).

There's been some recent talk of Apple starting to replace parts instead of the entire phone (article here), but I don't know when (or if) that's scheduled to start.

Googling around, it looks like the cost of the battery replacement is $79, and definitely make a Genius Bar appointment in advance (so you're not stuck in the infamous "standby queue", which can sometimes take hours). :)

I'm also not sure about if there'd be any hassle doing this if your iPhone wasn't purchased in the US. I know some US iPhones can't be serviced in other countries, but I'm not sure if that's just the CDMA version (since most of the rest of the world don't have CDMA wireless networks).

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I would suggest going to a local repair shop to get the battery replaced. Much cheaper and you keep your current phone and jailbreak. Also, it's not too hard to replace the battery by yourself.

4. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest replacing the battery yourself.
    It cost me $10 and 15 minutes to do it on my 4S and it went very smoothly.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Very easy to do yourself if you do a search. If you don't want to take the risk, like others have said, smaller shops will do it for a very fair price.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I agree, do it yourself. If you goto ifixit.com you can get the parts you need AND tools for 25 bucks. Then use the coupon code "icouponit" and get an additional 5 bucks off.

I liked ifixit.com because not only did I get the tools with new screws but for all I could tell it was an identical battery made by the same manufacture as the original.

I replaced my 4S battery in about 5 minutes. Took my time and cleaned off the contacts that touch the back cover and everything. Worked great. I also did a restore but the battery life is back to where it was when I got it.

ifixit.com kit

[​IMG]

7. robertson36 macrumors newbie

If you want to replace your iPhone's battery by your self, you can find a video in Youtube that gives step-by-step instructions how to do it right. I replaced my Iphone's battery by my self and just purchased a new battery. I think you can find batteries in Ebay and in Amazon.

8. ihonda macrumors 68000

tried to get my phone exchanged 2 days ago and they repaired the issue and refused to do an exchange. i was a bit shocked.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

They were doing u a favor. If they gave u a new phone you would had to reload everything, including ur favorite settings.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

What did they repair for you? How long did you have to wait?

Reload everything? You mean restore from an iCloud backup while you're in the store on their fast WiFi? Last time I did that, it took about 10-15 minutes to have everything automatically setup on my new device exactly like how I had it on my old device. :confused:

11. cynics macrumors G3

They can back up and restore. Or use your iCloud if its setup. All settings and info should be a mirror copy of the previous phone.

12. puding thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheap battery is out of question, I definelly dont trust then. I heard a lot of pp complaining about that.

I live in Brazil, here we have Apple Premium Store, but they charge about 120 dollars for a FAKE battery, is not even an original.

I can submite my iPhone to Apple, but it takes weeks and is more expansive than in USA.

Please stay on the subject, its just 2 questions about that, I was just wondering if Apple can just change my Battery, not the whole device.