Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
I've been learning from these forums for a while but today I joined so I could vent my frustration with the community! I've been a loyal Apple customer for 23 years! I am outraged--or let's just say I think it is Cruel and Very Disrespectful that Apple discontinued the 23 and now 20". That seems so mean-spirited. I spent 2500 (not to mention software) on my MBP a few months ago... and was waiting to afford a monitor... and now that I can, I feel left out in the cold. Do you also think it's cruel, selfish and mean spirited?

Yes, I know there are others monitors out there, I have been researching, but for the quality that 20" was special. I am afraid they will introduce a new one, but without any adapter for my MBP. (And I don't like glossy for the work I do).

Any suggestions of comparable montitors to 20/23" in panel technology, aesthetic, use for pro graphics work, etc. greatly appreciated. Any solidarity for my feeling about Apple being rude and selfish also appreciated! (With or without suggestions Apple will quickly rectify the situation with a relatively affordable new monitor that can be used w. my MBP that's also matte!)

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
I'm pissed too (about the 23"). To discontinue a product without a suitable replacement is stupid business. The 24" at this point in time is not a direct replacement for the 23" because there are almost no video cards on the market with a Display Port connector. They should have waited until they had a Mac-compatible video card out before dropping these displays.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
This is just my view, but I believe two things are going to happen. Either Apple are going to introduce a new PROFESSIONAL range of monitors, or they are just going to concentrate on the new BLING range of glossy, and leave the professionals to buy high-end monitors from other companies.

I bought a 23" ACD last year and even though I know for the price, there are better monitors, I am very satisfied with it.

If Apple are about to release a new monitor range with the introduction of the new Mac Pro, then getting rid of their old stock of 23 and 20" screens now makes good business sense.

I hope Apple introduce a new range of professional monitors. I wouldn't use one of the new laptop range of monitors, even if I were given one for free.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I had the 20" ACD and absolutely loved it, however since Dell came out with the 2209WA, I have 2 of these now. I agree with everyone on here that the ACD's are gorgeous, hard time justifying the cost, but if your a professional and need such a monitor than the business write off helps with the cost.
I know after listening to two family members bitching about the cost and use, it was easier for me to return it "almost 30 days after purchase" and the manager gave me back everything. He asked why I was returning, I told him , I do not do the work to justify the cost, & peace of mind. He laughed and said no problem, 2 minutes later I walked out smiling but I will say I miss the display. This new Dell is just fine for my needs, I based it on Gunga Dins experience and went for two of them, now I need a bigger desk to set both up and would like to find another graphics card to install and buy another 2 and have views going every where, Xplane is great on this display.

Regarding Apples choice of new displays well from what I have heard with my own 2 ears at the Apple store, everyone says the 24" is over priced and goes for the 20" ACD which they have over 24 left in stock alone with 3 23" inch. I looked and played and I would NOT buy the 24" LED.

What idiot engineer came out with this new display port? Nothing like timing the release of equipment strate across the board apple. a Mini display port, probably because of them compacting the main board in the laptops.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
...it is Cruel and Very Disrespectful that Apple discontinued the 23 and now 20". That seems so mean-spirited. I spent 2500 (not to mention software) on my MBP a few months ago... and was waiting to afford a monitor... and now that I can, I feel left out in the cold. Do you also think it's cruel, selfish and mean spirited?

It's called business.

Yes, I know there are others monitors out there, I have been researching, but for the quality that 20" was special.

The quality sucked compared to many lower priced third-party monitors these days.

I am afraid they will introduce a new one, but without any adapter for my MBP. (And I don't like glossy for the work I do).

I believe the 20" will be discontinued, but if it is not, they will not be making a DVI-compatible version; that's correct.

that's also matte!)

Matte is dead on everything but the newly-to-be-updated 30" Cinema Display.

Barb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
The quality sucked compared to many lower priced third-party monitors these days.

Tallest,
what monitors do you recommend (or anyone else here), I know I need to look at ISP panel (non TN) and that it has excellent contrast and response rate..... also about seeing HD correctly. (i trusted Apple out of the box, now learning about what tech specs I need). I'd also want a matte one. if you have suggestions (i know lacie and NEC but those pro lines seem more expensive) I would welcome suggestions (also what I need to look for). Thnx-B

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I was surprised by the coincidence. I thought about buying the 20" ACD for years, and I did it just 3 days before it was dismissed. However, I agree, it wasn't a nice move from Apple. Let's hope they introduce some real displays with standard connections to leave the other customers satisfied.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I was surprised by the coincidence. I thought about buying the 20" ACD for years, and I did it just 3 days before it was dismissed.

Wow, you are lucky. I am just about to place order for one, and I can't find anyone online stock them anymore. I have an old 23" currently, i better take care of this one, since that has already been discontinued too.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Tallest,
what monitors do you recommend (or anyone else here), I know I need to look at ISP panel (non TN) and that it has excellent contrast and response rate..... also about seeing HD correctly. (i trusted Apple out of the box, now learning about what tech specs I need). I'd also want a matte one. if you have suggestions (i know lacie and NEC but those pro lines seem more expensive) I would welcome suggestions (also what I need to look for). Thnx-B

Did you mean one of the -IPS line or an S-PVA?

I have two DYLM24E6 displays. 24", S-PVA, matte... they're quite nice.

Hanhart

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Belgium
hp-lp2475w.jpg

Maybe the HP LP2475w is something that might interest you.

A 24-inch monitor with such a large colour space that it includes 100 percent of the AdobeRGB colour space, perfect mechanisms, connectors for HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-I, Composite, S-Video and Component Video, and of course an SPDIF output for HDMI sound, a good S-IPS panel, and an integrated USB hub – and all this for 500 Euro?

- Han

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Actually, if you were seriously thinking about getting a 20" ACD, this is probably more a blessing than anything. There are quite a lot on the used market, to be had for pretty cheap. Why not just buy one used? Just because Apple doesn't sell them anymore, doesn't mean that there aren't thousands upon thousands of them out there to be had.

Barb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah I am now looking at some used, seeing what's out there (inc. that HP which has the benefit of height adjustment which is a huge bonus)- thanks to both of you (and hello to Belgium).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.