Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

It's kind a hard to tell from your video. But I do see the brightness subtly changing when you're adjusting the level. If you feel the brightness doesn't appear to be to your liking, You have 14 days. Or you could go to a local store and compare brightness levels with your watch and another Series 2.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
The screen brightness does depend on surrounding light levels. For example, if I use my shirt's cuff to cover most of the screen and leaving just a tight bit of screen visible, and when the screen does turn on after I flick my wrist, the screen will be very dim because it deems the surrounding to be "very dark" (because my cuff almost covered it). After I pull up my cuff to reveal the entire watch screen, the screen brightness will gradually turn up to a much more readable level.

So the screen brightness setting on the watch does not really control absolute brightness, but rather a perceived brightness that automatically adjusts based on the surrounding environment. Therefore I always set it to the middle brightness and even when under mid-day glaring sun, I don't have to manually turn it up because the watch does it for me.

Kind of intelligent if you ask me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The screen brightness does depend on surrounding light levels. For example, if I use my shirt's cuff to cover most of the screen and leaving just a tight bit of screen visible, and when the screen does turn on after I flick my wrist, the screen will be very dim because it deems the surrounding to be "very dark" (because my cuff almost covered it). After I pull up my cuff to reveal the entire watch screen, the screen brightness will gradually turn up to a much more readable level.

So the screen brightness setting on the watch does not really control absolute brightness, but rather a perceived brightness that automatically adjusts based on the surrounding environment. Therefore I always set it to the middle brightness and even when under mid-day glaring sun, I don't have to manually turn it up because the watch does it for me.

Kind of intelligent if you ask me.

I own the stainless model, and the brightness is surprisingly fairly bright, even with the reflectivity from the from the Sapphire display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.