/about/blank

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamuelLockyer, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SamuelLockyer macrumors newbie

Recently, every time I visit the site 'dictionary.com' an error message appears telling me that Adobe Flash Player has stopped a local application, going by the name of /about/blank, from attempting to communicate with an Internet-enabled location (s0.2.mdn.net), whatever that is o_O. The attached image is a screenshot of the error message. Safari then proceeds to completely freeze; force quit is then the only option as command + Q does not work (nor the red x button). -_-"
    Note that this only happens in Safari; I have tried other browsers and they do not come up with the message. I have also tried emptying Safari's cache to no avail.

This has never happened before and I have no idea what /about/blank or s0.2.mdn.net is, but I know that there is some kind virus called about:blank that affects Windows machines; not sure if this is the same thing.
    If this is a virus, please could someone give me some guidance on how to remove it.

Here is some information on the system I am running if it is necessary:
    • MacBook Pro (2010)
    • Mac OSX 10.6.7
    • Safari Version 5.0.5 (6533.21.1)

Attached Files:

2. SamuelLockyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I downloaded a free 30 day trial of Kaspersky for mac (2011), and after a full system scan all it found was a trojan downloader (or something); so I'm assuming it's not a virus. :\

What is it then?????????????? >:|

Attached Files:

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Many years ago my Windows PC became infected with About Blank. In those days it was pretty difficult to get rid of. As far as I remember it created a .dll file which self-replicated if deleted.

I must admit to have never heard if it being on a Mac.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a Windows trojan, which can't affect your Mac in any way. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

5. SamuelLockyer thread starter macrumors newbie

I see…

Thanks for the responses. I might have to migrate back to chrome, I use dictionary.com aaaall the time. Oh well.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Somewhat unrelated, but Mac OS X has a built in Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus.