About buying new mac pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by artursold, Oct 25, 2011.

1. artursold macrumors newbie

Hello I intending to buy the new macpro 15" and I have some questions:
    1. does it worth to buy the high res screen its makes difference?
    2. how much time its takes them to ship the high res screen option or they have it in stock in any app store in NYC?
    3.I want to install win7 on external drive. what is the best option to have min 150gb and not paying more then 150$-160$ for it?

Thank you for your help :)

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

First off you are not buying a "macpro" your are buying a MacBook Pro..BIG difference so don't mix them up ;):apple:. Second the high resolution is most definitely worth it. I can't stand the idea of having anything but the highest res possible when working on a computer...totally different with TV's but on a computer high res isn't even debatable.

3. artursold thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Thank you :p
    What about the two other questions???

4. torid110 macrumors regular

Definitely get the high-res screen. The shipping estimate was 1-3 days when i put the option in. I ordered one yesterday with that option and it has not shipped yet. Not sure if they'll have it in stock at the store since it's a custom order, but i could be wrong. Try giving them a call to see.

----------

Also, is there a reason why you want to install to an external drive, instead of creating a bootcamp partition on the existing drive ?

5. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

I don't think Windows 7 can boot off an external drive.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes it is. The hi-res screens are awful for me and many others--if the OP reads through, they'll see that there are plenty of people who don't care for them, as they make text too tiny and hard to read, and create eyestrain, etc.

7. artursold thread starter macrumors newbie

I must install it on the internal main drive? no other way?

8. torid110 macrumors regular

It's possible from what i've read, but it's really complicated. The problem is that when windows boots, it doesn't have the USB drivers loaded, so it can't communicate with the drive. You need to do some registry hacks to get it to work. So while you can hold down the option key and see your external drive to boot from on the mac, windows will probably blue screen when it tries to start up. Is there a reason why you don't want to put it on the internal drive ?

9. stockett macrumors newbie

Im also looking to buy a 15in. but whats the deal with the processors?

How can the high end 13in & 15in models both have i7's but the 13in is 2.8ghz and the 15in i7 is 2.4? Not too happy about spending 700 more for a slower computer

10. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

They aren't slower. They are quad cores compared to dual core, and they have hyperthreading, so when they are called to action they can overclock. I can't find any exact numbers for these new MBPs but I believe the last gen 2.2GHz could over clock to somewhere around 3.4GHz.

11. stockett macrumors newbie

ahh, I see. I missed the quad-core part. Thanks for the clarification :)

12. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

no problemo. yea the 15 and 17 inchers are quads, hyperthreading up to 8 virtual cores. I'm definitely considering getting one before they drop the optical drives.

13. artursold thread starter macrumors newbie

I just don't want put garbage on my main drive. what is the smartest way to do this, split the drive by two and install each operation system on different part??
    or install both of them on the same part?

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah win 7 cant use USB on first boot up so you have to put it through main drive. Just like how external drive doesnt work on Win 7

15. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Go for the hi-res for sure! I am so glad I did, now when I'm on computers with lower resolutions it feels a bit ridiculous.

They had hi-res in stock at my apple store but they were the high end with antiglare and 2.3 GHz processors (obviously this increases now that there is a new speed bump)

16. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

It depends really what you want to do in Windows. If it's for simple programs that don't require full power, you can install Windows in a shell from inside OSX using programs like Parallels. If you want to run Windows native, check OSX bootcamp: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818