? about early 2011 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AztecKing, Jan 30, 2017.

1. SoloXis macrumors newbie

That's when the replacement program was in place. I personally had my graphics/logic board replaced 3 times for free. However, the program had expired at the end of 2016.

If the graphics replacement program is still in place I wouldn't hesitated to recommend swapping out your HDD for a SSD and perhaps reformat your computer for a brand new experience. I personally have 1TB HDD (in place of my DVD drive) and 1TB SSD in my 2011 MBP and it still runs like a beast.

If you don't do graphics intensive work that will cause the MBP to heat up like crazy (which will cause the graphics issue to surface over time), then it's safer to prolong its life via RAM and SSD upgrades.

2. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Yeah it ended in December but if my memory serves me correctly before it was extended to December 2016 it was previously only good until 2015.

I'd be surprised if apple continues to provides services and parts for a 6 year old machine.

3. AztecKing thread starter macrumors member

AztecKing

Thanks for the links. I read them and now have a better understanding of NAS. I do have 3 copies of my photos and videos on different drives just in case something happens.

4. AztecKing thread starter macrumors member

AztecKing

Update:
    My hard drive is going bad and I'm having them put in a 1TB SSD. I just want to thank all of you for the help.

Jeff

5. capricorn71 macrumors newbie

To give an update: I installed a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD as the main drive, switched the old 750 GB HDD to the place the SuperDrive was and upgraded to 16 GB RAM (Crucial).
    Now the MacBook is faster then ever. I' m really glad.

6. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Just a quick call out, I think apple stopped providing official support for MAC OS on the 2011 macbooks.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

What?

8. SMDBill macrumors 6502

I would recommend adding RAM and replacing the hard drive. Since you need large storage, HDD is about the only way to go unless you can do SSD internal and external HDD for some files, or even the mod where you replace the DVD with a HDD. I just broke my MB Air 2015 and switched back to a 2011 Macbook Pro 13 (late 2011). Not noticing much at all in the way of s lowdown, but battery life is weak. I'm keeping this thing for sure. For my uses, which are browser, email, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and a few odd programs, it's more than fast enough. Heck, it's faster than my brand new latest Core i5 work computer because of all the garbage they add to it that slows it down.

If it's fast enough, you can get batteries for next to nothing, RAM is cheap, and storage keeps going down or getting bigger. I've learned through this that new isn't necessarily better, especially since the OS seems to get faster with later versions.