About Garage Band... interviews and notation

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by johnnygraphicx, Sep 11, 2010.

1. johnnygraphicx macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am going to be recording some interviews. I'd like to use Garage Band to edit the audio. SO, my question is.... Is there a way to make notes (ie sticky notes or something) along the timeline? I want to be able to look along the timeline and see what the person was talking about without having to listen to the whole thing. So, just some personal notes along the timeline would be GREAT! If Garage Band wont do this, is there a program that does?

2. deej999 macrumors regular

Logic Express can do this. It's also a much better program to edit audio in than GB.

Use Markers in Logic Express to add your own notes that you can see in the Bar Ruler at the top. You can even get the Marker window to float on top of the screen to see all the text in the Marker field!

deej

3. johnnygraphicx thread starter macrumors newbie

very cool!

Thanks "deej999"

I'll check it out!

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

As Dee says Logic is better at this. But you can fake or "kludge" it with garage band as long as you don't need to many named audio segments.

What you could do is chop the audio into segments then make a new audio track and give it a name then move the segment to the new track. The name of the track acts like a very short note. If you chopped the audio into many bits you'd run out of tracks soon.

Logic allows you to add labels which is better.

Actually the way Final Cut works is best. There you can chop up your media and place it in "bins" and ad notes the bin. later you can search based on content of the notes. This is a form of what is called "digital asset management". In a way iTunes can be thought of as a digital asset manager. It allows you to attach all kinds of data to each track and then search based on Artist, date, genre or whathaveyou. Same goes for iPhoto or Aperture. I think Apple tried to make GB easy to use by not having any but the most basic features.

Maybe you can find a way to use iTunes. Seems it might be worth it if you had a thousand audio segments but not for a dozen