About hard cases that cause scratches on the MBPs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Apr 30, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I read some postings on dirt getting into the case to scratch the MBPs. Does this occur to both the lower and upper portions of the case? Do both Incase and Speck products have this issue?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It happens on any case in which dirt gets inside...

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I have not tried any of the hard case yet. I think the lower half may have a higher chance to scratch the MBP than the top half.

4. Coldmode macrumors regular

I used a Speck case for about 8 months and didn't wind up with any scratches. You just have to take the case off and clean it about once a week. However, one of the clippy bits that hold the bottom part of the case on broke and made it unusable.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I heard that Speck recommends users to take the case off and clean it occasionally. Assuming that we clean it once a week. There is still a possibility that in between the cleanings, stuff gets in through the gap and scratches the MBP. So, it may be better to find a case that fits the machine tightly. Why Speck and Incase do not do that? Is there a technical issue?

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it possible to get some kind of (removable) gum-like materials to seal off the gaps? How about those transparent one that prevents water leakage? If we can find such material, we do not need to worry about stuffs getting thought the gap to cause scratches. That may be a better solution to protect the MBPs.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I can tell that you're very OCD about scratches. I'm the same. My MBP just went off for repair, they replaced the display+casing, and it had scratches on it (even though they were small) so I sent it straight back.

Don't worry about scratches with Speck.. Check out itsmemorphious on YouTube, he's used one for 18months, and he's never had a scratch, and he's like the most OCD Apple dude there is :p

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

We may need to see a therapist.