About how long does installing RAM in the Unibody MBP take?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J the Ninja, May 8, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The reason I ask, is because my 4GB kit arrived from OWC today. When I get home from class, I will have roughly one hour, maybe a little more, before I have to leave for work. I also have a shower to take in there somewhere, so realistically, I need to have this done pretty quickly.

Of course, I could do it tonight or tomorrow morning, but I'm impatient.

As to my skill level, I've built a computer before, and am fairly comfortable working with towers, but I've never opened my MBP or added RAM to a laptop before. So, if anyone knows what I'm in for, let me know. Btw, I already checked the screwdriver I will be using, it fits nicely, so I won't need to sort through fifty tools trying to get the screws off.

2. Illinoisbmx macrumors newbie

I had never done it before either and it literally took me 3 to 5 minutes. Good luck!

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I haven't replaced my ram, but I've re-seated it. It took me about 15 minutes. 6 minute to open it (being very careful not to loose any screws), 3 minutes to re-seat the ram, and 6 minutes to close it back up. This was my first time opening up this specific MBP, but if I did it again it would only take 7-10 minutes. If you're in a rush, just wait. Mistakes happen when you're rushing.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Make double sure you have a size 0 screwdriver. The screws are glued in, and if you strip the head of one, it's tough.

6. sriggles macrumors newbie

It takes about 5 min, very easy to install. 8 screws and you are in.

7. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Lol, I'm going to refrain from making a joke out of that line there...

But ya like everybody said its super quick. I replaced the RAM in my macbook the other day and it took me 20 min just because I was going slow and looking at everything inside. Just take your time and don't rush it or you'll strip a screw. Then your screwed. (Pun fully intended)

8. J the Ninja thread starter macrumors 68000

25 mins total, including time spent dusting things inside with some canned air. Huge gobs of dust were coming out of everything. It was kind of scary. The whole machine seems to be running about 5C cooler than it was before. :O

Oh yeah, and I have 4GB of RAM now! Woohoo!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably takes me less than 3 minutes also. I regularly take the back off to blow the dust out with compressed air, so it's now very easy.