About how much does the iMac on average drop after new release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ak907Freerider, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Ok so I just bought a new iMac 27 inch with the 3.4 ghz processor about a week or so ago. I love it works amazing. But hopefully with tommorows new release Im wondering how much my iMac will drop as a refurb price through apple. Or even as a new one if they still sell them. Debating on if I should bring it back to return and use the price drop on a refurb of mine, or depending on what the new ones come with going with the 2012. So ya on average how much if any do they drop or does Apple just stop selling them all together?

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

3. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I know Should be happy.

I know I have a hard time thinking it could be better. I installed two 8 gb ram sticks to make 20 gb total and Im a multitasking fool. Hard to complain I dunno maybe just the thought of being dated within a week bugs me. Yet even still what is out now is still a beast. Do a lot of HD Video work on Final Cut and it is flawless. Dont know what all the hype is maybe it feels slower after time. But for now it is awesome. Just wondering if I return I can repurchase for a lower price and put the money toward a SSD or maybe a new camera.

4. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

By tomorrow you'll know whether or not there is something that you like better or will make your computer cheaper, and if you bought it a week ago, you'll still be in the 14 day return policy. If a new one comes out, return it and buy a cheaper refurb

5. seriall macrumors newbie

maybe you should first ask will there be really a new release:eek:

----------

be assured dude, tomorrow won't have any new release :)

6. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

if and when there's an iMac upgrade

then the Apple online refurb store tends to sell off the stragglers of the previous generation for about 14-19% discount compared to the original resale price, at least here in Europe.
    There are today some MBP-17"s with a claimed 26% discount at present - but you do need to be aware of the whole holistic price history and likely future price (Some iPad1's were being refurbed at higher than the new iPad2 price recently)

7. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

In Hong Kong the price of the top-end i7 27in iMac should drop by at least US$250 once the 'new iMac' is released if past prices of refurbished machines are a guide, basically, it should set you back HK$12,980 - the price of the current low-end entry model 27in - this in my opinion will be an excellent price for a used i7 27in iMac - obviously, Apple's prices in Hong Kong are among the cheapest in the World as there is no sales tax in the Territory.

I cannot vouch for USA, Canada or UK, but usually, I purchase all my Apple products in Hong Kong and take a few items back to the UK for friends and family - my next trip next month will see me drop off a 2010 iMac 21.5in 3.2Ghz i3 with AppleCare for 18 months - Apple even have to swap out the HDD on it and I'll push for a replaced LCD panel as well - not bad for £500, or half its original purchase cost in April 2011.

Hope this helps, but if Apple does update the iMac line by months end, I think it daft not to get a refurbished 27in model which may be either brand new, or have a few unexpected updates like a 2T HDD, 2G VRAM and 8G RAM.

Hope this helps.

8. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

All worked out called apple they refunded the price drop difference yaaaa!! Apple rocks

9. kalexn macrumors 6502

What was the price drop? Apple is pretty good when it is within the 30 days. My dad purchased an iMac two weeks before they released a new one last time and he just took it back and got the new one instead :)

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Lolling. Thanks for the great post.

11. Garden4Gods macrumors member

1399 Euro here for the new 21.5" which is quite steep. 260 up on the previous model.

I'm not sure its worth what they are asking.

12. davey1107 macrumors newbie

Camel

Not calling you mean names...suggesting a web site. Check out camelcamelcamel.com. It provides amazon.com product pricing history, both new and used. You can pull up a chart for old iMacs and look at when new versions were released.

Generally, on 27" models I see an instant $200 drop in value, a lot less on the 21.5 models. The value then tends to very slowly decline. Usually a $1500 machine drops to $1300 used when a newer model is available, then after 2.5 years (when my company usually resells its used equipment) we get $1100 for it. It's a much higher resell value than other brands, indisputably.

13. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Got $100 back