About iPad and an new POS for restaurants management

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tonye, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Tonye macrumors newbie

I look for a good software management/ POS for bar-restaurant. There are several interesting offers. But I did not know this until yesterday: http://www.lecere.com
    Has anyone tried this software?.They say that this software is ideal for IPAD and iPod, but I guess that can also support other devices: is this correct?
    I appreciate any opinion. Looks like a very interesting technology, inexpensive and advanced.
    Thank you

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I know an owner of a Wendy's that is using iPads with his POS system....mainly during lunch periods when things get busy as a line buster. It works great for him...he said his POS system is iOS compatible.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I think my version of POS is different than yours.

4. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comment. I will most likely decide to use these new tools offered Lecere. I do not know what is cloud computing. But now I've talked to a very experienced friend and he says he is a highly recommended for companies in these times of crisis. He said that cloud computing is the future ... I'll try to talk to someone who has experience with FIRMS. Thanks

5. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

As I read, the POS of FIRMS supports any wireless device. I guess that also supports the use of devices other than iPods and iPads.

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I swear I saw someone at in and out doing this with an iPad at the drive through line that had become extremely long.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Cloud computing = no server inside the store. The server where all your transactions are stored is stored "in the cloud" on a remote, hosted server. Which works fine as long as you have connectivity that is always on and always working.

Of course, if that connectivity goes down for any reason, you can kiss processing credit cards goodbye. And with PCI/PA-DSS compliance issues, there's a good chance you can't keep them in the store on the devices for a store-and-forward process later.

No credit cards = death to most restaurants.

Oh and for people who don't understand, POS = Point of Sale.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you want good robust portable units take a look at symbol units = you can throw them across the room and they still work...

Try throwing your iPad or iPod touch far and see what happens to it:eek:

9. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

I have searched and I saw this:http://www.tmcnet.com/wifirevolution/articles/103878-lecere-approved-credit-card-processing-electronic-funds-transfer.htm

FIRMS seems that somehow ensures that the restaurant can make credit card transactions: "Morris added that Lecere Corporation is currently in the process of obtaining the ability for its restaurant customers to charge their own restaurant guests (external credit/debit card processing) through FIRMS. That approval is virtually assured."
    I suppose that the Company has obtained that ability. Therefore, FIRMS should guarantee this ability through the use of wireless devices. Today I'm going to see this with my friend. And soon I hope to address these issues with Lecere.

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you read that linked article carefully, the company behind that product just obtained approval to charge YOUR credit/debit card for monthly access to the program. Thats not the same as obtaining PA-DSS certification to allow the program to charge individual customer transactions for buying food/beverages.

Not to say they won't....almost every POS company in the industry has already done so. It just takes time and money to obtain the certification. I know this because we had to obtain it for our own company's client billing system (which is laptop-based and sort of a specialized POS solution).

But you can tell which POS systems are and are not PA-DSS certified by looking at this website:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.or...alidated_payment_applications.php?agree=true#

Almost all major, reputable POS vendors have already obtained this certification. As of right now, Lecere's "FIRMS" product is not listed here, meaning its not yet been certified for use in capturing/processing credit card transactions.

11. mazdatree macrumors newbie

I'd ask what the Apple store is using, as someone rung me up from their iPhone/iPod Touch. He just scanned the products near the shelf, swiped my credit card, and only left to get a printout and a bag.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Retail POS and Restaurant POS are very different. When was the last time your plate had a barcode on it? Or you and 4 friends split the purchase of a memory upgrade 4 ways? I won't even go into modifiers like add bacon but 86 the onion.

The OP is looking for software to run his restaurant business. It has very specific requirements that differ greatly from retail POS products.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...Micros, one of the main industry standard POS systems out there spec's out symbol units = the drawback is that they are heavy to carry for a standard length work shift...

14. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

One of the things that my friend told me yesterday:
    Firms would have an internal clock that will date-stamp all trasactions, for accounting purposes. If the cloud goes down, the software already resides in the hardware at the location. So, if internet goes down, FIRMS continues to fill the database with transactions and amounts, so FIRMS knows how much to charge. When the internet goes back up, the synchronization sotfware reconciles all transactions, up-to-date, validating all transactions, and amounts, upon the sync process.
    FIRMS also allows individual modifications of the menu, if requested by a client to the server.

15. Tonye, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

I have received some very positive information about Lecere: my friend tells me Lecere has won 40 customers in one week from the time when this company launched its product, and and demand for restaurants that want to try this software continues to grow. I guess FIRMS should work excellently. Someone also has told me the following: looks like a cool app you made... . Usually there are a couple main reasons why companies may outsource their cloud computing needs. First is cost savings- to build out a support staff as well as the physical infrastructure for even a lightweight cloud computing environment necessities takes quite an investment. Many vendors, like Qwest, have already made this investment. The second reason to consider using a cloud vendor is security, especially when we’re talking data storage. At these facilities, there are guards, palm scanners, secure card-key access, 24/7 surveillance, as well as comprehensive access controls put in place for unexpected happenings.

So I have a desire to try this new product

16. JajoPGH macrumors regular

Dammit, we just put in a POS in our restaurant a couple months ago. I am not sure if it is compatible with the iPad, but I wish it was.

They are a fairly big POS company (FuturePOS), but for some reason I don't see them offering the iPad as an option.

I wonder if I can use an iPad as a VNC to connect to our server (which is in our office), and make orders from there if our other machines get backed up.

iPad = $500. Another terminal = $3300

17. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

I can not answer you: I do not know well this POS. But FIRMS is valid for any type of wireless devices and, especially, for IPAD and iPod.

18. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

Today, finally, I have found some opinions from Lecere customers . I think it's something interesting to post:

Bryan and Rachel Gavini, owners of Pangaea Wine Bar in Putnam, Connecticut:

"The FIRMS system allows us to spend the maximum amount of time with our customers and talking to them about wine and food. Using FIRMS in conjunction with the Apple iPad, Pangaea's servers will spend more time talking and interacting with the customer, leading to a better overall customer experience."

Bryan added, "FIRMS is going to be a great tool for Pangaea, as it will allow us to spend more time telling the story of our food and wine, rather than being wrapped up in time-consuming administrative duties."

Chris Barlas, owner of Province 620 in Asheville, North Carolina:

It feels like Lecere is right beside us every step of the way. Their services have surpassed our expectations and the FIRMS software seems limitless in its capabilities. It feels like we've come out of an ice age and entered into a new way of servicing our customers. I can't imagine doing business any other way."

Chris Wishart, owner of Trio in Mt. Airy, North Carolina:

"Being able to deliver orders to the kitchen and bar from the tables has enabled our restaurant to do what all full service restaurants have always wished they could do: deliver the orders without delay. The FIRMS technology and Lecere's forward thinking has delivered us from wait lines at the tethered terminal and circumvented the server becoming distracted on the way to the tethered terminal. This has led us to become much quicker and more efficient."

"I would be remiss if I also did not bring up the 'cool' factor to all of this. The feedback and interaction at the tables from our customers has been through the roof. The buzz about your technology has been electric in the dining room."

Peter Vizcaino, co-owner of 123 Bolinas in Fairfax, California:

"Our vision has always been to source our foods, wines and furniture locally as well as having them impact the environment as little as possible. Having iPads and iPod Touches being used as our Point of Sale solution through Lecere FIRMS is completely in line with that vision. Instead of having large, immobile computer terminals we have lightweight and flexible hand-helds. The combination of being in front of our guests and having low power consumption machines is something we thought we may never find, but luckily for us we ran across Lecere."

"The process for implementing our menus was quick and easy. Our staff training could not have gone better. The buzz from the guests when they realize we are putting in their order from the IPod Touch is exciting and something we didn't expect."

19. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

Lecere Announces Trial (Demo) Version of FIRMS

Lecere Corporation (Pink Sheets:LCRE) announced today that potential customers can now register for FIRMS on a trial basis on the company's website at www.lecere.com. The trial version of the software is limited to 25 customer tickets and disallows printing to a physical printer.

As before, interested new customers click on "GET STARTED NOW!" at www.lecere.com. Potential new customers who wish only to "kick the tires" on FIRMS can demo a pre-configured restaurant in their own "sandbox" and use the FIRMS software free of any charges. There is nothing to buy, and no credit card is required.

Jim Morris, CEO of Lecere, said, "We are excited to roll out the trial (demo) version of FIRMS to a wide audience. This allows new customers to 'try before they buy' and become thoroughly familiar with FIRMS and its configuration prior to signing up for the full version of FIRMS."

20. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Just an FYI, about that Lecere, when I go to check out the free trial (I was trying to find out what this thing costs out of curiosity, I don't really need it.) But I received this error:

firms.lecere.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

My security warned me not to connect to that page.

21. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to get the answer quickly.

22. ReallyBigFeet, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Tonye, with all due respect....you sound suspiciously like a shill for this company.

If you represent them, feel free to just tell us that as there is an appropriate forum for that kind of thing.

I know a lot about the hospitality POS business, I sit on the board of two of them. I've never heard of this company, but they aren't the only one that offers an iPad/iPhone based POS solution. So if you've got valid questions about how an iPad actually holds up in the wear and tear, moisture-laden restaurant environment just ask. I'll give you a hint....not very well given where Apple stuck their moisture detectors on the devices. The iPod Touch has some waterproof cases for it but that small form factor doesn't work that great outside of limited menu venues. Queue busting is the better use for such a device and even then durability has demonstrated itself to be a big issue. Not to mention that Apple doesn't offer an 'industrial' depot repair and maintenance service for the units...they are consumer-grade devices, never meant for such use.

I'd love to invite some open dialogue on how Apple devices, the iPad in particular, are and are not well suited for the hospitality environment. But that means we all have to check our business interests at the door and have a good discussion based on general exchanges of features/functionality as well as hardware needs and limitations. Its not possible to do this when someone has a hidden motive in pushing one particular product over another.

But if you just want to push their product....there are more honest ways to do it than this. Just sayin.....

23. Tonye, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I can prove that I do not work for that company. I am following with interest the development of this software for some time, and I watch from outside. Is it permissible to want to research and share what I am knowing?. I ask people who know better than me about this software: I have tried to contact customers, with common investors, with the company. Always, from the outside. Is that wrong?.

24. Tonye thread starter macrumors newbie

You can make a screenshot of the URL and the official certificate showing that it is legitimate. I can show here also the certificate verification.

Merchant Verified

November 15, 2010 16:52 PM
    firms.lecere.com is a verified Authorize.Net merchant.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please confirm that the verified URL above matches the Web site you are visiting. This seal is only valid if the URL of this window begins with http://verify.authorize.net or https://verify.authorize.net.

You can be confident in knowing that firms.lecere.com is a verified Authorize.Net merchant.

Authorize.Net is committed to providing its merchant customers with the highest level of transaction processing security, safeguarding customer information and combating fraud. More merchants trust Authorize.Net than any other payment gateway to process their ecommerce transactions securely. For more information about the benefits of Authorize.Net’s secure transaction processing, please visit the Authorize.Net Web site.