about itunes plus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by haoqfu, Jan 7, 2009.

1. haoqfu macrumors regular

anyone tell me according to yesterday's announcement, is itunes going to upgrade every song to high bitrate or just DRM free?

i don't really care about DRM, since i only play it on my mac and iphone. quality is more important to me. if itunes is shift majority of the albums to 256 kbps, i may stop buying cd from now on.

2. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

awesome!! now i can stop buying CDs from amazon and local stores. i love the feature in ituens where i can buy song i like instead of the whole album, which saves me a lot of money too.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It definitely will if you are a song rather than album purchaser.

The upgrade works well BTW. I upgraded my iTMS library, which is rather small now since I import from my personally owned CDs, and it went very smoothly. Cost was reasonable. Although, if you have a large library the cost will be large even though it is reasonable.

It's great to see the higher quality songs with no DRM. :)

4. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

at this point of time, my library is rather small too. and i imported most of them from CDs too. maybe i will sell my cd and download from itunes store.

i listen to movie soundtrack mainly, pop occasionally. the thing i was worrying about is most movie soundtracks comes from independent studios instead of major recording studios. and at yesterday's announcement, i thought the changes only apply to major studio albums. now i'm relieved =D

5. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

any reason why you don't buy from the amazon.com store?

all their music is DRM free and with their downloading tool, it will automatically add it to your itunes library.

I always use amazon.com for all my music purchases since they've always had high bitrates (256kbps, but VBR)

unfortunately, they don't sell music videos or itunes compatible tv shows, otherwise, i'd get them from there, too.

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

I now prefer itunes to Amazon on a technical level ... 256kbit AAC much better than 256kbit MP3VBR

Although i will still go with the cheaper store

I wish you could selectively upgrade the itunes store .... there is only a couple of things i would actually want to pay for but my upgrade bill is £60 ... which i ain't paying

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Technically, isn't 256k VBR MP3 (which Amazon uses) considered inferior to 256k AAC (which iTunes uses)?

Anyway, I don't know if this will direct me away from Amazon and towards iTunes more. I'll have to see how the variable pricing scheme pans out, first. Amazon is excellent, largely, although, regardless of what people say about their library size, I still find that music I want is less often available there than iTunes, and also their website is clunky compared to the iTunes store. But otherwise I like it quite a bit. And when they offer their discount deals on albums, the pricing is phenomenal.

8. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

i was actually saying i m not going to buy CDs from amazon. besides, i don't even have a choice to buy mp3 from amazon either, since i'm living in canada.

also, like mkrishnan said, i consider aac is superior in quality to mp3 compressed at the same rate.