About macbook 2.0 and web design.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zenor, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Zenor macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask some questions about macbook.
    Would 2.0GHz be enough for a web designer that mostly uses Photoshop(CS3/CS4), Flash?

Is 0.4Ghz a big difference in allover performance?(browsing etc)
    I was thinking of buying the 2.0 and upgrading to 4GB ram and 7200 HD or is it better to grab the 2.4GHz version?

Also, I would like to use the laptop with an external display, so it would be my main machine and be plugged all the time. Would that be a problem for the battery? I think apple says it's not recommended to have it plugged in all the time.

Thanks in advance.

2. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

If it's any help, my 1.83GHz MacBook with 2GB of RAM does everything I need it to for web design work (Photoshop CS3, Coda, Terminal, browsers, Mail, some Aperture (I use a lot of photos)).

I'd put more RAM in it if I could, though.

3. 55orangeave macrumors member

55orangeave

2.0 vs 2.4GHz Macbook???

New to this forum, so hello everyone. I wanted to join into this question myself. I am driving myself crazy over this choice. I as well will be upgrading the ram to 4gb and 7200rpm HD. I see benchmarks everywhere, but nothing tells me straight up. Is there anything the 2.0GHz can not do that the 2.4 can, other than the obvious time to do these tasks in question.

I have watched countless Youtube videos and read many forums. Can I have some real people with knowledge express their opinions, to give us a hand?

Oh!, My last Mac was a 24 inch 2.16GHz iMac with 128mb video card. And 2gb of ram. Will this macbook score a better rating than the iMac?

Any help would be great, Much thanks!! :apple:

4. 55orangeave macrumors member

55orangeave

5. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Did you maybe mean to post in this thread, over here?

There's nothing compelling about the 2.4 GHz MacBook except for the light up keyboard (members of the opposite/same sex will find you 30% sexier because of it). Is that worth $300?

There's definitely no reason a webdesigner would pick the 2.4 over the 2.0.

6. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

Save your money. Buy the 2.0, or save even more by getting the 2.0 whitebook. But whatever you choose, load it with 4 gigs RAM.

As long as you disconnect your laptop from the power source and run it on battery now and then, you should be fine. Maybe once a week ensure you completely discharge the battery and then recharge -- I'm not an expert, but I doubt that as long as the battery gets exercise, you won't have trouble leaving it plugged in most of the time.

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

This.

For what you've described, the 2.0 would be more than capable. And now that the whitebook has the new nVidia chip in it, you'd be best off just getting that and saving even more money.

8. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

If you didn't need Firewire, I'd get the 2.0GHz aluminum one - it feels that much better.