About MacBook Pro LCD Back Housing (Back Cover)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sccreait, Nov 25, 2011.

1. sccreait macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm using the early 2011 13" macbook pro (aluminum one). My macbook got bumped and it got dent on the lcd back housing (the aluminum cover with lighted-apple logo). Is there any way to change only the back housing on my new macbook pro?

Note that it's a early 2011 one.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but you have to buy an entire rear screen assembly because they're glued together.

3. sccreait thread starter macrumors newbie

But then

but then is it possible to get only the aluminum cover(part with the apple logo) off and replace on the new macbook pro 2011?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why would you need to do that? You would already have the entire screen assembly.

5. PS65 macrumors 6502

You could purchase the screen casing from some unofficial (ie. the aluminium housing) but the manual process of changing that looks horrible, and I certainly don't recommend it.

Just so you know, I had Apple replace my MBP screen a few weeks ago and they explained that the official Apple process involves a replacement of the entire screen. It should cost no more than £300, I suggest you get Apple do this - unless you're familiar with repairs....

6. sccreait thread starter macrumors newbie

So can you tell me how I can change it myself? I heard that 2011 mbp is different from others

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

iFixit should have a step by step guide. It looks horrible, and breaking the screen in the process is more than likely.

8. sccreait thread starter macrumors newbie

iFixit doesn't

iFixit only has the one to change the whole screen - what should I do? - this is really important for me

9. visim91 macrumors 6502

Don't you get it: at this point, changing the whole screen would be your "only" option.
    Changing the aluminum housing alone is hard and, for the inexperienced, almost impossible.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Plus it actually takes you longer. This entire thread has reached the end of it's usefulness. If the OP wants to be realistic he/she has the necessary information to perform whatever repair they want to attempt.