About malware/viruses on Mac (from current PC user)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Codpeace, May 13, 2011.

1. Codpeace macrumors member

Codpeace

Hi folks, first post here. Gotta say, I really appreciate how helpful and courteous everyone is. Well done!

Anyhow, I am a PC user looking to buy an iMac. It is often said that OSX does not suffer from viruses or other malware (which I'll call, collectively, "malware") and that there is therefore no need for protective software. As you can imagine, as a forever PC user I find these statements rather incredible.

How can this be? It is not credible that malware authors simply love Apple products and their users and therefore don't write their juju for OSX. So there must be immunities inherent in OSX. Can someone describe what they are? I am a layman not a programmer or anything, so a layman's response/explanation would be both appropriate and welcome LOL. A basic how does this work will do.

Thanks, and I'll probably be checking back with more questions.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe this can help:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

3. GGJstudios, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

Also, read a few of the many "Is this a Mac virus?" threads in this forum, which can easily be found by searching with Google. Some of these threads are quite informative.

4. Codpeace thread starter macrumors member

Codpeace

Exactly what I was looking for, awesome. Thanks!

5. altair7 macrumors member

Just be careful not to install Skype 5 right now until it is updated. There is a remote code execution exploit that allows malicious code to execute without requiring the user to enter an administrative password. This is a mac only exploit right now. You can install Skype 2.8 which does not contain this wormable flaw.

Also, I would avoid almost any software by Adobe. Their software has a lot of security flaws on it as well (especially Flash).