About Merom (Sorry D:)

Genoa12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
27
0
Is there any chance that the MBP will receive any other upgrades like a new enclosure or are we absolutely sure that it will just be the chip. Because ill only be doing video editing surfing and general multimedia related tasks so i think ill be fine with the current mbp's but i dont want to have it bite me in the ass in september. I can wait if i have to but getting it now would be best as my sister is set up to get my computer when i get my new one.
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
Other than minor details (perhaps a magnetic lid, rather than having up push that button), I think that we can't expect anything much more than a chip upgrade. I would wait for the upgrade, and then pounce.
 

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
746
13
Genoa12 said:
Is there any chance that the MBP will receive any other upgrades like a new enclosure or are we absolutely sure that it will just be the chip. Because ill only be doing video editing surfing and general multimedia related tasks so i think ill be fine with the current mbp's but i dont want to have it bite me in the ass in september. I can wait if i have to but getting it now would be best as my sister is set up to get my computer when i get my new one.
Well, I think if you did editing you would be more excited about the chip upgrade. Video editing is heavily reliant upon CPU speed and the merom would be a benefit as I hear it is roughly 10-15% faster across the board. If it was just a chip upgrade, you would see the benefit.

And no, no one is ever sure about anything. If you base your decisions on what might happen you may possibly make out with a better computer for your purposes. If you always wait, you will *always* miss out on the here and now.
 

spencecb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
962
17
The Core Duo is a perfectly adequate chip, especially considering the incredibly compact enlosure of the MBP...That being said, if I were you, I would wait until at least MacWorld Paris because it is so close, and you don't want to buy a MBP right now and then have the new one come out in a couple of weeks.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
Paris is so close. MBPs are pretty certain to get a Merom update.

Even if the difference is minimal and nothing else whatesoever is updated, waiting is good. Since immediately the price of the current MBPs will fall and you'll save some money off the bat if you decide that the new upgrades aren't that great.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
viccles said:
That being said the current MBP is a perfectly adequate and speedy machine :)
Aye, if the new MBPs don't have the x1800s next rev, I might be looking into appleintelrock's 17'' rev A MBP... the Core Duo is plenty fast.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Aye, if the new MBPs don't have the x1800s next rev, I might be looking into appleintelrock's 17'' rev A MBP... the Core Duo is plenty fast.
It sure is :D My MBP is one speedy little machine I love it
 

Easy Rider

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
31
0
MBP isn't getting a remake until Santa Rosa comes out

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.