About moving library to external HDD, self organized.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by care89, Aug 14, 2008.

1. care89 macrumors newbie

I have all my musics in my Internal HDD, and I want to move it to my External.
    Thing is, all my music, I have organized it myself, and I wanted to move them to the external, not copy them.

Is there any risk involving this method?
    Will my library still point to the music files in my external after I move?

I do have another question. When I consolidate library, what does it actually do?
    Copy exactly the way how I manage my music?
    Or the copied files managed the way Itunes would manage?

Also, in preference, under general, there is a preference stating "Group compilation when browsing."
    What does this actually do? I tick it and nothing really happened.

2. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

thanks for the link to the how-to article.

I'm on a macbook pro. if I have one of those portable HDs that I want to put my itunes music on, what will happen when I move my files to there and then I open Itunes when the hard drive is not plugged in?

will the itunes freak out and create a new music folder back on the intenal HD?

do I have to always have the HD connected before opening itunes?

Thanks!

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

It'll just say iTunes can't find the file and have a ! next to the file until you plug the external in

4. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

but won't my podcasts start downloading and then it will freak out when the folder is not there to put them in?

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

If your external HD is not plugged in and it tries to download a new podcast it will just put it in the default folder rather than the one you set on the external drive