About my macbook repaired?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AuroraSakuya, May 17, 2015.

1. AuroraSakuya macrumors newbie

I dont have AppleCare... and i think my warranty is expired.
    So, I was wondering on average how much it would cost to repair it.

My laptop keyboard button (u j m 7 ; ' F7) is not working

and that is all, i have no idea how come is not working, because is still working last week...:(:(

so i wonder how much is that cost... i have bought this laptop 4 years...

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

4 years old? The warranty assuredly is expired. Why not check with a local Apple store or AASP? They certainly know their rates better than we can estimate, especially since you don't give a whole lot of detail about what model you have.

3. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I assume by button not working you mean the buttons themselves (not just the keys). I would always try to clean the keyboard first, maybe it's dirty or something. I'm afraid to tell you that the keyboard in a Macbook is nearly unrepairable. Unless you got one of those old G4s or early Intel computers with the removable keyboard, you have to remove the motherboard, and only then you'll be able to access it, but even then I'm not sure if it's permanently attached to the case/motherboard.

4. AuroraSakuya thread starter macrumors newbie

my macbook pro model is(is this model?? 'm not good with tech)

Macbook Pro 13-inch, late 2011

----------

maybe i din't give out much information, about the button i press it but it didn't come out letter and how to clean button??

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Like another poster said before me, I would try cleaning the keyboard with compressed air. You can always take off the bottom of the laptop and spray it out good. You will be surprised at how much dust collects under the keyboard.

Should the canned air not work for you, you will need to search out a tech center. It shouldn't cost very much to fix. It really sounds like a simple fix. Good luck.

6. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Definitely try some compressed air in there.

If all else fails as you probably know you'll have to remove the motherboard to access the keyboard. Unfortunately it's really not an easy job at all with the MacBooks but I'm sure you can get it done for a sensible rate.

Best bet is to take it to Apple and see what they say, unless you feel like grabbing a new keyboard for it off eBay and fitting it yourself (which would be the cheaper option, if you're willing to carry out the repair yourself).

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It sounds like a complex repair, but it can actually be done in about 20 minutes by a competent person.

Has it had ay water ingress? That's normally what causes just one section of the keyboard to stop working.