About Nehalem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gang, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Gang macrumors newbie

What do you think? Should I wait nehalem or buy it now?
    I'm gonna buy the unibody macbook pro but in the next year the nehalem will release. So, what do you think about it.

Thank you.:)

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Nehalem for mobile is late 09 or 2010. Buy now unless you're really patient.

3. mbrizan macrumors newbie

It's just an endless cycle of buying ... becoming obsolete .. and buying again. If you start waiting, you will wait forever.

That being said, if you can "afford" to wait, I would wait for nahalem.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I have two feelings here revolving around the transition to Nvidia. The Nehalem/Clarksfield will be an immediate release Macworld 2010 or worse Apple passes it over entirely.

5. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I would definitely wait if you can, the next platform will be a major increae in performance over the current one, not to mention historically that Nvidia chipsets are generally buggy until another hardware revision or so. Also you get the benefit of the new look they will most likely have by then as this one seems a flop. So if you can wait it would surely be to your benefit. This current model will become known as a flash in the pan design like the previous model ipod nano was. Good luck withwhatever you decide.

6. therapistfinder macrumors member

You're entitled to your own opinion, but from what I've seen the new one is far from a flop. Yes there are certain features that are missing but the majority of consumers that buy Apple's notebooks don't really care too much (I know that there are a significant number of "pros" that would disagree with me and that's why I also think that they should just drop the "pro" moniker on the MBP since it doesn't seem to serve the needs of pros anymore). It's just that on boards such as these, all you see are people complaining about problems. I guess it makes sense since if you think about it, how many people would actually make an effort to post about a product that met their expectations?

In addition, based on the history of Apple's redesigns for the MBP (or lack thereof), there is a good possibility that they will not update the cosmetics to a significant extent once nehalem comes in late 09. I'm not saying that this isn't possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just made it thinner, updated the internals, and left it at that. Perhaps they will offer a matte display solution. IMO, the new design isn't that bad and most "average" people I know think that, while the design isn't as revolutionary as the PB/previous gen MBP design was, it's still a pleasure to look at. It might look slightly more like a PC because of the black on silver but all in all, I think they did a satisfactory job.

7. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

As you pointed out, it is my opinion sp hope no offense was taken. I was referring to it being a flop based on never seeing this many complaints both in asthetics as well as hrdware issues, this early in any MBP release before. It s not just this forum but everywhere I look on the net the majority so far are very unhappy with it. Because Apple's bottom line is their biggest concern, I believe they will definately redesign it pronto based on the sales numbers as well as the canabil sales to MB over the pro being the same machine as the budget one now. They redesigned the Nano not long ago and the Nano's biggest attribute was its size which was what made it a Nano. For some reason that made it short and fat totally unlike the name implies and it wasn't well received and Apple quickly completely redesigned it on next release as you can see. This is what I belive will happen with this new PC looking one. But time will tell the tale. Good luck with whatever your preference is but sales numbers will make a product live long or die quickly.