About One-to-One Training...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jawzzy, Jun 2, 2007.

1. jawzzy macrumors regular

Hi, I'm a soon to be switcher here trying to convince my father to join the Apple bandwagon. :apple: :)

He is relatively Windoze literate, however upon encountering anything new, whether it is computer related or not, he is hobbled by a long, steep learning curve. When I mentioned Apple's recently split One-to-One training sessions, he told me that he would definitely buy a mac if he could get to know it well first.

Now, my question is, could he enroll in the training sessions before buying his own Mac? (No one in out family is a Mac user...yet!) You know, get to know the controls and the interface on one of the Apple Store computers?

Secondly, I read somewhere that it was 52 sessions spread out over a year? Is this accurate or am I way off? I'm sure that my father will want to pack several of these sessions into the first couple of weeks, to really get to know the computer, then, once he has purchased a computer of his own, learn the more advanced stuff in later sessions.

Is any of this possible? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I don't know if this has changed since One-to-One but Apple stores used to offer seminars on individual topics. These were open to the public. See if they are still doing this.

Buy your Mac first, and maybe David Pogue's Switching to the Mac book. That way you will be knowledgeable when you lend him your machine.

Let him decide to Switch, based on experience with your machine and visits to an Apple store. Otherwise you will be responsible for any frustrations he experiences. For the same reason, Applecare is a good idea on any machine he buys. If you don't buy the Pogue's book, buy it for your Dad if he switches. Many proficient Windows users dislike feeling helpless and ignorant on a new platform.

That said, the One-on-One sessions are extremely popular at my local Apple store. Call and ask if doing sessions in groups is possible. Best wishes.

3. chipchen macrumors 6502

Yes, you can get One to One without owning a Mac. You can also go to all the free workshops, etc. (I think they still have beginner Mac classes on Saturday mornings?)

By 52 sessions.. basically, you can do it once a week. No more. So you'd have to be pretty diligent in signing up each and every week to get the 52.

4. jawzzy thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh...thanks very much. I'll talk to him and look into those public seminars.