about ordering online...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ohla313, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I'm so sick of waiting in line for models I don't want and am thinking of purchasing from the apple store online. I have some questions though..

1. When you order online, does your card get charged right away or as soon as it gets shipped?

2. I know there is a 4-5 week wait, are others waiting for this and is there a possibility it will be quicker?

3. I want the AT&T model, so this will probably take the longest amount correct?

4. In the case where I want to return the iPad when it arrives, would any Apple Store take it and refund me?

Thank you!

2. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

1) Yes
    2) No
    3) Maybe
    4) So

Just kidding, I don't know.

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Would like to know the answer for number 1 as well.

but...

2) Doubtful
    3) AT&T is the highest demand.
    4) Yes any Apple Store will refund it.

4. mirage699 macrumors member

1. When it ships but my credit card had a $1.00 hold on it. But on 3/18 another hold was placed, one for the Smart Cover and another for the iPad 2. I ordered both items on 3/11 at 9:15 pm (PT)

2. Will let you know.

3. At this point its hard to say. I have a ship date of 4/1/2011. The Smart Cover is being shipped ahead of schedule.

4. Apple should take it back.

5. MACaframa macrumors newbie

MACaframa

Just a reminder I think if you get it engraved or go past the 14 days you received the iPad then the Apple store will not make the refund.

6. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

NO.... I'm certain an Apple Store will not refund an item purchased from their on-line store. You can take any item there to be serviced, not but for a refund or exchange.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are talking about the Apple Store then:

1) No. Your card is not charged until the item is shipped. They do pre-auth to make sure the card is legit. That will temporarily lower your available credit but it is not a full charge and is removed in a few days unless your item ships.

2) Yes, it's possible it will be quicker. Usually the estimates are worst case scenarios. Sometimes though orders are pushed back too so possible to be longer than thought as well, if for example, there is a part shortage.

3) Best I can tell the shipping date for all models is exactly the same.

4) Yes, you can return to any Apple Store w/i 14 days of shipping. (Remember when you order online the clock starts when the item ships, not when you receive it. Same goes for warranty expiration clock).

8. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Thanks for the info! So basically I can't return it since it takes 4-5 weeks to ship and the return window is 14 days from shipping?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No. 4-5 weeks is BEFORE it ships. Actually, I'm not sure about the return window starting from when it ships, seems more logical to start the clock when you accept delivery. But even if the clock starts when it ships, that will be when it leaves Apple (you'll get an email letting you know when this is), not when you place the order.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

For #1, if you pay with a debit card you may notice the amount disappear from your account for a week, then it will come back. If you do online banking, you'll notice your available balance decrease but not your actual balance. Same difference though, you won't be able to access the funds until the preauthorization expires.

11. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

No you can't.

The only way you can return a product purchased from the online Apple Store is by mail. You can take it into a 'brick and mortar' Apple Store, but they will charge you a small fee to send it back for you. The money will then be refunded to you once the online Apple Store has received it and processed the transaction. This is because the online Apple Store and 'brick and mortar' Apple Stores are effectively different internal companies.

If you purchased a product from the online Apple Store, and it is defective, then it is possible for you to get it repaired and replaced if needed, at a 'brick and mortar' Apple Store.

12. superstrikertwo, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Just found out the answer for #1 is they do bill your card when you order it. I cancelled though as I'd much rather have the option of buying elsewhere instead of being locked into the 4-5 weeks thing.

Edit: I've been reading they give the money back in a day or so...
    Edit edit: They do a test charge of the amount then give it back then when it ships they charge for real.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Usually, I would say that shipping will be quicker

But, with international releases coming in the future, I suspect the 4-5 week wait will be just that

Hell, some here are posting that their deliveries are late

14. SWAT macrumors member