About reinstalling Snow Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xTRIGGER092x, Aug 3, 2011.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

If I were to to a clean re-install of Snow Leopard (to solve an issue) and then using Time Machine to restore from a backup, would that defeat the point of me doing a clean install in the first place?

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Yes if the issue was within the Time Machine backup then you still have the issue. If you really want to do a clean install, then wipe hard drive, reinstall os and then add back everything manually. Then if you bring over something and the issue returns, you have found your problem.

3. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks. Looks like I'll use Migration Assistant then.

But here's another question: if I were to migrate stuff like my Music and Applications folders, would I have duplicates? Since Music and Applications folders are already there on the initial install?

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

If your using Migration Assistant it should take care of all of that for you.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Migration may also bring back the problem. It all depends what it is.

I sometimes suspect that the reason "clean" reinstalls work is that the drive is wonky, and reformatting helps solve that problem. But it's not a panacea. Have you already tried booting from your computers disks and repairing the drive a couple of times? Or Disk Warrior or the like?

Rob

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've learned from having put so much time on my Macs, experiencing the related issues, that nothing beats a clean install. I'd much rather spend the time just once. That's what a compete erase and clean install has done for me.