About Replacing MacBook Pro 15 Hard Disk...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weatherreport, Jul 26, 2012.

1. weatherreport macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

The 320 GB hard disk on my MacBook Pro (15", mid 2009, 2.66 ghz, 8 GB RAM) started to make some noises and I think it's dying. Anyway, I backed it up with Time Machine and now I'm on the market for a new hard drive. I really need some expert help because I'm going to buy it online and install myself. (btw I cannot afford a large capacity SSD right now, I'm after a regular HDD) I have some questions in mind...

1. Are 750 GB and 1 TB HD's compatible with my machine?
    2. Does my machine support SATA II? I don't know the difference between Sata and Sata II, but Sata II's are cheaper where I live.
    3. Currently my computer's HD is 5400 RPM. Is a 7200 RPM HD, compatible with my computer?

Many many thanks already.

MKK

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you get a 2.5" form-factor hard drive you should be fine on all counts.

3. weatherreport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Miles.
    So do you have any idea why Sata II's are cheaper than Sata's. Isn't new versions of technology have higher prices than the older ones?

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Usually new versions are more expensive...for a while. But when the new versions become the standard, the price comes down. Then the older technology becomes more expensive than the new because there just isn't as much of a market for it anymore. SATA II drives are just about as expensive as SATA III drives (at least as far as SSDs are concerned; not sure about HDD's) because SATA III is more widely used than SATA II now.

5. weatherreport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. So, regarding the compatibility issues, it seems ok to proceed with a 750 GB, Sata 2, 7200 RPM HDD with my 2009 MacBook Pro... Hope it won't fail :)