about rMBP 15" life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hypnosizz, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Hypnosizz macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

I'm going to buy my first mac, rMBP 15" 2015 w/ dGPU.

Since, I haven't used any Mac before. I don't know about an average age of rMBP 15".

Can it still work smoothly for 5-6 years? Because it is my huge investment of my career (I'm a photographer). And I want to use my computer at least 5 years before planing to buy a new one.

My main purpose is processing photo by Lightroom, editing video by FinalCutPro and playing some games (like dota2, this war of mine, fifa).

2. Studflower macrumors member

If you play games on it on a regular basis, I highly doubt it'll last 5 years. Laptops aren't made to be gamed on and the heat will shorten the lifespan for sure.

Build a gaming desktop for like $600..

3. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

That depends somewhat on the dGPU. If you research more you will see that the dGPU has somewhat given issues and shorten the life of the MBP. I had the same issue with my 2010 MBP which died after 4.7 years of service and I purchased the new one without dGPU. You will find people that also have had no issue with it.

Some have reported that the fans run loud or machine is hot, mine is so quite if the display is off I don't know if the machine is off completely or just the display! I highly advice you get the Iris Pro only and test it to see if it meets your requirements and stick with it, if not you can always return and get the dGPU version and hope for the best.

4. Hypnosizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

Thank you for quick reply.

I usually play games only 1-2 hours/day. And I don't serious much about in-game graphic.

I've read some topics here. They talk about dGPU (R9 M370X) that can improve performance of my main-used software (Lightroom,Photoshop, etc.) or games so I think dGPU model should help my work better than no dGPU model. But I don't know about side effect or issue that you inform me.

5. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

The biggest issue with the last GPUs were overheating. Now THANKFULLY the present AMD ones are playing decently cool. As people play more games then we might get to know more comprehensive information. For your needs dGPU would be a huge help specially for Final Cut Pro.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The computer should last 5 years no worries barring the usual any computer can die at any time caveat. Whether you will be happy with it in 5 years is another matter. No one knows what will be available then or how software will change with changing hardware.

Looking back over the last 5 years though I can't see any reason why it won't still be a great machine in 5 years time.

I would say, unless you need portability, you would be better off with a 5K iMac for that use case.

Lastly if this is your career and you are making money off of your computer make sure you have some sort of back up computer and the ability to replace it. Put some money aside each month until you have enough to replace any parts that might get broken or just fail this applies to any equipment you use cameras, lenses computers hard drives, etc.
    Any electronic equipment can fail at any time and even with insurance and warranties getting things fixed is never guaranteed to be quick and sometimes not having a computer for a couple of weeks will cost you far more than buying a new one and selling the old one when it gets back.

7. Erphern macrumors 6502

If a couple of thousand dollars is a huge (5-6 year!) investment of your career, you might want to consider a new career.

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

And you may want to consider staying out of someone else's personal life.

I don't see any reason why the model you are talking about wont last 5-6 years, many do. But then again, there are always the unlucky ones. I've just got the 15" rMPB and it's beautiful!

9. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Hmmmm i have gamed heavy on all my laptops from day one. No quick deaths. All Windows and some not too special, (IBM T42) non with dedicated graphics.

Strangely i do avoid gaming on my rMBP... Using another not too special Windows machine.

10. Hypnosizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

Thank you very much for many useful instructions.

Now I have more confident on spending money for my new Mac. And I will find some suggestions here about how to maintain good condition of Mac as long as possible.

Also sorry for some of my sentence that was unclear, the huge investment, I mean the investment about laptop that I use them to work, not my all career. (in my opinion, rMBP's price is really high)