about rmbp mid 2014 battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paristexas, Apr 9, 2015.

1. paristexas macrumors newbie

hi,
    got a rmbp mid 2014 15", its the first mac im using, this is a post to try to figure what can i expect from its battery , so if you have one or two hints about it pls post.. for example, is there any problem if i leave the adapter "always" connected? i did this in my previous two pcs and one of them got its battery damage, should i unplug adapter when battery reach 100% as a rule or if i just unplug lets say 4 or 5 , 6 times a week there´s no problem? ; other thing in OS X im getting maybe 5 to 7 hours of battery (dind´t let battery reach 0% yet to test) , in bootcamp i think i probably get 1,5 to 3 hours, are this numbers normal, can i do anything to improve battery life (especially in bootcamp, win 8.1 pro) , thanks!

2. efib macrumors member

I have some golden rules, first of all I never reach low levels < 30%, then if I'm playing a game or anything that drains the battery quickly I have my Mac always plugged in. Then you can use safari as chrome is an battery devil. Don't leave it plugged in all the time, in that way you will keep the battery cycles low but it will not be healthy for Mac! These batteries are very good but hate low charge levels and going down fast. Hope I helped !

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Use it however you like. It'll die from old age(the battery) once it reaches about 4-6 years old.

Your old PC probably had crappy, cheap batteries. I've had my 2012 machine plugged in about 90% of the time ever since I got it and can still easily get 6hours out of it (it was advertised as having "up to 7 hours" at the time of purchase).

Windows is shoddy at power optimisation, your batter life is normal in Windows. It's also normal in OS X. You have nothing to worry about.

4. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    When your battery is fully charged, it stops charging and runs on AC power while plugged in. It cannot overcharge, so there's no need to unplug, unless you need to be mobile.
    There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie