about that 40GB OCZ SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ravich, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I just decided to start checking things out that I will need when I order and receive my Mac Pro, and saw that this thing is on sale for 100$

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/40GB+ssd+extreme

Since it'll hop up 40$ in price in a day or 2, I wanted to ask about them while I have the chance to get one. What would I need to put this in a 3.5'' bay?

Also, what are thoughts on whether 40GB is adequate? My app folder at the moment is 9.18GB, and I'm not sure exactly what would increase its size all that much, although I will be eventually upgrading to logic 9 from logic 8 in case that changes a whole lot.

I realize that would be pushing it with windows 7, but I dont see why I'll need anything other than XP since I wont be using it for anything other than gaming here and there.

I always here people say "better go for 120 just in case" but I never know why. This just seems like a pretty killer deal as far as SSDs go, and all I can really afford for now in the way of SSDs is a small boot drive.

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

That SSD is too small for OSX and your app folder. You need to maintain a fair bit of empty space to keep SSD's happy.

How about using it just for your apps? :cool:

ciao baby
    JohnG

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought that was only the case if a) it is a spinning drive in which case free space is needed for optimal performance, or b) you are constantly writing data to it, in which case the SSD needs to move blocks around and it is better to avoid them needing to be broken up.

Anyone able to confirm/deny?

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, the Sandforce processor in that drive leaves some extra room for overprovisioning and helps to prevent degradation over time, even when filling up. I'm running off of 60GB, but I install some of the larger apps on my mechanical disk. You'd probably be about halfway full with apps and OS X on that. So, it's doable, but it could be tight.

5. strausd macrumors 68030

Ya, and I think the 40GB the OP is lookin at has about 3GB extra. But I would still suggesting going higher than 40GB.

6. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

But really my only option is adding on 70$ for an extra 20GB, right?

7. strausd macrumors 68030

Ya it looks like it, but I honestly think that would be well worth the money. Once you fill up that 40GB you will have to buy a whole new bigger one. If you get the right size now, you won't have to spend the money on a new one, just the difference now. So an extra $70 now, or pay the $100 now and have to pay another $170 later? But if you have the money and want to do it, I would suggest going for the 120GB, but thats just my opinion.

8. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSDs are coming down in price though, and I can relegate that SSD to a couple of small sample libraries when it has outlived its usefulness. I doubt it will be another 170$ when I have to replace it.

At this point I'm just arguing with myself so I guess I just have to make a decision. I appreciate the input though. More thoughts are welcome.

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

TigerDirect has the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for $150 after rebate. The Vertex 2 series has the same Sandforce processor found in the OWC drives. Just a week ago the OCZ was $140 after rebate (when I bought it) so it may go down again. I'd say $40 or $50 for the extra 20GB is worth it. Keep in mind you can always RAID another SSD in the future when prices go down so this drive doesn't have to go to waste.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6371304&CatId=5300

10. ZennZero macrumors member

I just pulled the trigger for 2 x 40GB OWC's. I had the same concern about 40GB not quite being enough, so I am going to run them in RAID 0. Now I just need to decide on a mounting solution.

I *do* wonder how long these things are going to take to ship, as their status is "pending". . .

11. Manzanito macrumors member

Will 80 GB be enough to fit OSX and, say, CS5?

12. ZennZero macrumors member

Yes, easily. But if you are creating and archiving loads of large .PSDs , you are probably going to want them off your boot drive.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...price per GB, your better off getting the 60Gb version of many of the current SSD's avail ATM... its tempting for the price tag but its only ~40Gb of space...

14. DesignFusion macrumors member

I had a similar dilemma the other day, was going to purchase the 60gb OCZ sandforce. However I got all feedback saying it's not enough, if it's just for a boot drive I would say get a 60gb I think 40 is just a little low.

Although in my case I decided to get just normal wd caviar blacks as I have been looking at SSD lifespans which don't look promising! And the main think I want I'm my mac pro is stability for the future. :) hope this helped. Btw my hd setup is a 500gb caviar black for osx using the stock 1 tb for timemachine, and another 500gb for windows bootcamp. This does leave me a spare drive for an SSD in the future. ( also alot have suggested raid however I didn't purchase the raid card )

15. Manzanito macrumors member

That's the plan, ssd only for osx and applications, and two 1 TB in RAID0 for everything else.