About that power button...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

So it's on the right side instead of the top... was this a good idea? And how is it taking screenshots? :/

2. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Was it a good idea? Depends on who you ask. We've actually had at least a couple threads on this and the general consensus seemed to be that people (here at least) prefer the old placement on top. That said it's still extremely relative.

3. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

It made sense to be on the top of the smaller phones, make sense on the side of larger phones. I was used to it because I used Galaxy S5 for a few months. Taking screen shots feels the same for me.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think it was a great idea. But at first when I tried to take screen shots I would lock the phone. But that doesn't take long to get better at.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Agreed. Awkward at first but now perfectly normal. Do not see how the location effects screen captures.

6. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will admit. In the Apple Store I absolutely pressed the top of the phone all the time. So if I could do that. Then I don't see the need to move the placement. I think it's a flaw.

But if you think about it like this, at least it goes with the thought that all the buttons are on the sides now.

And maybe the real reason they moved it was because of Apple Pay

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry but few see it as a flaw. I think Apple decided to move it to the side due to the possible difficulty in reaching it with the phone being bigger/taller.

They can't make everyone happy and there are always those who can not adapt. Surely if you have never used a 6 you Will press the top out of habit. I did the same. But after only a day or two I was used to the new location. It is hardly a defect.

8. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're gonna have to use it with two hands anyway

Putting it from the top to the top side doesn't even do much as far as reach ability goes

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

On the 6 Plus, it's the perfect place to press with your thumb when holding it in your right hand. Having it on top would be a lot more awkward.

The 6 is still probably small enough to have had it on the top, but I guess they put it on the side for consistency's sake.

10. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

There will always people who will struggle a bit to adapt to changes. Same thing when Apple moved the headphone jack on the bottom (which I think it made perfect sense since I personally had to put the wire always on the back of the phone while using it and listening to the music since it would come across the screen) But eventually people got used to that change. Same with the power button. Takes some time for some but you get used to it and you realise it does serve the purpose even better.

So I would not call it a flaw.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Apart from the occasional hard reset I never use my power button. I wake the screen with the home button and use assistive touch to switch off the screen, then put the phone in airplane mode at bedtime. It doesn't bother me where the power button is, so long as I don't keep accidentally pressing it when handling the phone.

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I don't mind on the side, but I wish it was not exactly opposite the volume buttons. Still changing volume pretty often at the same time. I would have left it on the top.

13. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me too. They'll probably move it back

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

They'll probably move it back? Based on what?

Don't bother answering since you're not basing it on anything. They're not going to be moving it back any time soon.

15. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

They moved the headphone jack back & forth all the time

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

nope, only once. the first iPhone until the 4s had it on the top. 5 and after its on the bottom.

17. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Remember how it was with the 5, and the phone was elongated and we all thought it was weird.

Is it like that with the 6? Is that enlongated ratio still a thing?

18. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Not sure what you on about. Headphone jack on iPhone 6 is on the same location as it was on 5/5s.

Attached Files:

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Wrong.

It's never been moved "back and forth"

It's been moved once and never been changed back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.