About that spinning beachball....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Graygirl, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Graygirl macrumors newbie

I did search the forum and tried the suggested repairing permissions, but I still have the problem. Here it is:

I have a 13 in Macbook Pro bought last November so it's 8 mos old. It replaced a 3 yr old 13 in white Macbook. From the first weeks I noticed that I saw the "beachball" so much more than I had ever seen it on the white macbook in all three years. I put up with it as it would only happen occasionally. Well, now the beachball happens many many times a day, especially when I have several tabs open. I have to restart a couple times a day to get the beachball to stay away for awhile. Is there anything I can do to speed things up short of buying more memory?
    Here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
    Serial Number (system): W8943JAL66D
    Hardware UUID: 964A8438-1FCE-53ED-AFC2-079ED609F2E4
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Also:
    Capacity: 159.7
    Available: 123.5

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You might have a background program that could be causing this. Open activity monitor and see if you see any high cpu or memory usage by any program that you might consider out of the ordinary.

If not, it could be a rouge application made for an older computer or something. If this keeps happening, I would recommend you back up your data to a thumb/flash drive or hard drive, and reinstall the OS using the discs that came with your computer or snow leopard retial disc if your computer came with leopard. That should fix the problem. If it does not, you could have a dying hard drive that is suffering a slow death, or if you use the computer while walking around or something, the sudden motion sensor in it could be tripping, thus keeping the hard drive heads from moving until you set it down.