About the apple registration thing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Laughingman13, May 30, 2010.

1. Laughingman13 macrumors member

You know the apple registration thing that u have to do when u start the computer..

what happen if u provide fake information?

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Okay, now why would you need to do something like that? Anyway, it doesn't matter. Apple knows where you live because of the location services in Snow Leopard. :D

4. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

I find it a little wierd because they ask for my address and stuff like that. If I want to change it, where do I go?

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah i hear where your coming from, but its fine! don't worry

6. nonlocal macrumors newbie

Would someone please point out the benefits of registering a MBP,for someone outside the U.S?

I found some threads about it,but with answers like "so they can enter your serial and see who you are". I can't find that reason good enough.

So,what are the disadvantages of not registering at all?
    Isn't the warranty/Applecare still valid without it? Would one encounter problems by not doing so?

Sorry for the questions,first time Mac user here,trying to figure out some things.

cheers

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This request is no different then any other product registration. You want to provide any information to them, its up to you. Personally, I see little reason to use fake info, though. Either give them your info, or control-q out of the process

8. piwi macrumors regular

the info you put is also used in your personal Vcard in address book

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I always register my Apple products...it has helped my in a coupe of instances where I was pleading with AppleCare supervisors to fix some issues that they said either weren't covered or were (in their opinion) due to accidental damage and therefore not covered...in BOTH instances I mentioned all of the Apple products I have purchased over the years (a dozen iPods, 10 computers, many peripherals like Airports etc, tons of software)...they looked me up and said because I was such a good customer they would make the repairs under AppleCare...in one instance, it covered a complete logic board, display and case replacement that would have cost me well over $1000...:eek:

10. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

If you don't wish to provide any info in that screen, simply press Command + Q.

Solved.