All iPads About the backcover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kristalsoldier, Aug 16, 2013.

1. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Hi all,

Can you long-term users of iPads comment on how easily (or not) the back cover of the iPad (I have a iPad4) gets scratched? When I bought my iPad a few days back I opted to buy only the smart cover. I wonder if I should buy the smart cover with the case. Being a metal back cover I wonder if it gets easily scratched.

Thanks

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I've found that it's very durable. I've used my iPad 4 daily with smart cover since near release day and while I'm not looking with a microscope, my impression is that it is holding up extremely well. I even use it in the garage fairly regularly when working on the car.

My Microsoft Surface, by comparison, has hardly ever left my work desk yet the corners are quite heavily scratched.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The back of my iPad 1 was covered in scratches withing a few weeks, even though I was very gentle with it. My iPad 3 has no scratches at all, so I think they improved the finish. I still keep it in a case because it is still fragile, but I don't think the new ones are as scratch-prone as older devices.

5. ben911 macrumors newbie

I would suggest a back cover

I like the back covers that also hold the smart cover in place. No chance of the smart cover coming off. I've used a few different ones. At first I tried a cheap semi-transparent (smokey brown) cover from eBay. It cracked and broke in just days... then I went to a black rubbery feel TPU case. It was very thin and strong and lasted a lot longer (about a year) before cracking just a bit... still usable but I recently tried a completely clear back cover that I expected not to last but it seems just as good as the black one so far.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I bought iPad 1 with no case I was too careful and less use it then I bought ipad 2, I went and bought Apple Smart Case I love the "rubber" feeling it helps my hands grip iPad better. :apple:

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

The back of my iPad Mini got scratched quite easily, but personally I don't care. If you're worried about it getting scratched, get a case to cover the back of your device. There are lots around eBay and Amazon that you can find for really cheap.

8. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

My iPad 3 is fine with just a Smart Cover - I just put it in a slipcase whenever it's in my bag and I'm travelling.