About the fan inside my 2009 MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViolentHero, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ViolentHero macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a 2009 model. Since Fall of that year I've been using it mostly for computer animation and since Spring of last year, I've been using it to play games like Team Fortress 2 on Steam and Deus Ex: Human Revolution on OnLive. The cooling fan inside my MacBook Pro spins up to around 5000 rpm when I play my Steam games to keep it below 100 degrees celsius.

I feel confident that it may be ok to play games as I meet the requirements but how long would the fan inside my MacBook Pro last? I never bought Apple Care unfortunately, so how much would it cost to have it fix just in case the worst happens?

2. Skika macrumors 68030

I wouldn't worry too much. You can get a cheap cooling fan from ebay from China for your mbp. And the installation isn't that complicated either. IF it fails, that is.

3. ViolentHero, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

ViolentHero thread starter macrumors member

I have to worry. I need to take good care of all my expensive stuff and save money. I've researched ways to keep my MBP cool but they're just not good enough. I can't keep spending money just to try out different solutions. At least I always play indoors on a hard, flat surface with nothing blocking the vent. Most people say games are best played on a desktop. Unfortunately, I doubt I can afford a new desktop anytime soon.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Well ok good luck with that, seems a ton of worry for nothing.

And the fan is about 25 $.