iPad Pro About the ipad pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by super michael, Apr 7, 2016.

1. super michael macrumors regular

I don't know why Apple felt the need to make the Ipad Pro 9.7 worse than the Ipad Pro 12.9, i mean couldn't apple have given the Ipad Pro 9.7 the same specs are the big Ipad Pro.

The Ipad Pro 9.7 has 2gb ram while the Ipad Pro 12.9 has 4gb ram. I mean surely putting 4gb ram into the ipad pro 9.7 wouldn't increase the price that much, since ram nowaday are really cheap.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There are dozens of threads on this very topic..

Apple excels at making Slightly different products at slightly different prices. The small iPad Pro is not intended to be the same as the big iPad Pro. The larger device is a much more powerful multi-tasker due both to having nearly double the screen area and double the ram.

3. richard371 macrumors 68000

4. London Fella Suspended

London Fella

"I don't know why Apple felt the need to make the Ipad Pro 9.7 worse than the Ipad Pro 12."

I do (with regards to the RAM difference):

Greed.

Sheer greed.

5. bufffilm, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Apple could have made the Pro 9.7" w/4gb and USB 3.

Am I surprised that they didn't......NO.

They will milk us for as long as they possibly can before doing that.

In the meantime, I'm fine using my iPad 2. I'm not going to throw any money Apple's way...I suggest you do the same.

6. phillyboy82 macrumors regular

phillyboy82

Why is there yet another thread on this? Does anyone know how to search? Bueller?

7. sslade6752 macrumors newbie

Maybe they should post a sticky stating the 9.7 only has 2gb less then the 12.9 and all whining to be done in this thread only.

I got my 9.7 from T-Mobile and very happy with it as an upgrade from the air all my games I play play great if not better like vain glory and such. Hav not opened enough safari tabs to crash the iPad

I do wish they had the sub 3 for fast charging and would like a technical
    Reason of why the magnets where placed differently to reduce the functionality of previous smart covers besides we want to sell you more accessories

8. BitSlap macrumors member

Don't forget the 9.7 also got an underclocked processessor as well.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

More speakers plus sensors for TrueTone probably meant they had to shift components around, which caused the magnets to be placed differently.

10. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Agreed I have ask a mod too closed and lock this fourm please search be for you post so there not 100s of forums asking the same thing

11. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

The reason they didn't give 4 GB ram is because of us larger iPad Pro owners, if they had given this the same specs as the larger model, we would have felt disenfranchised especially after only having our device for more than 4 months before this one was released. Something like giving it the exact specs would have angered a lot of us profoundly. You guys got the better camera so feel obliged that you did get something upgraded. Otherwise, you can still do almost everything on the smaller pro as the larger pro with just less screen real estate and less overall power and ram and the slow usb 2.0.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Honestly doubt that. Probably went something along the lines of:

A: We can get 100 million 2GB LPDDR4 for $13 per module and use it across all the latest product lines or we can get 80 million 2GB LPDDR4 for $15 per module for most of the product line-up and 20 million 4GB LPDDR4 for $35 per module just for the Pro 9.7.

B: So that's $1.3 billion if we go 2GB and $1.9 billion if we use 4GB on the Pro 9.7. Let's just go with 2GB modules on everything.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not me. I mean, 9.7 having the better camera and TrueTone does make me feel envious, but why would I be bothered if 9.7 had the same specs as 12.9? It's not like my iPad suddenly becomes slower because the 9.7 got the same specs.

14. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I'm not buying that argument...you're giving Apple too much credit.

I think it was more about the potential bottom line. More profitable to split the upgrade into 2 parts - the pencil and the display/speakers now, the 4gb and usb3 later.

Watch and see.

15. iregret macrumors 6502

Something that doesn't get brought up is the fact that they had to physically fit the ram into the 9.7 iPad as well. It's not impossible, but this is a marketing/business decision. Nothing more, nothing less.

This forum (and the internet in general) gives people a warped perception of things. It's okay to be mad, but it's pointless.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Another thing I'd like to point out, starting MSRP of the 12.9" Pro is $799 and the 9.7" Pro is $599. Sure, the bigger display and battery costs more but it's not $200 more. Part of that higher pricing is for 4GB RAM and USB 3. It's not like the "upgrades" that the 12.9" model has over the 9.7" are free.

Now if the market demand (or lack thereof) shows that the $599/749/899 or $729/879/1029 MSRP for the Pro 9.7" is too high, I expect we'll see some discounts shortly like there are for the Pro 12.9".