About the Juniper Visa Card...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shady899, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Shady899 macrumors newbie

Yes I know, It sucks so much and makes you pay more!
    But I do have a hard time saving up my money for a MacBook.
    I can easily save $38 or so a month.
    So I want to get the card.
    My question is,
    After you sign up for the card...Do they give you the number and stuff so you can use it like ASAP or do you gotta wait till it comes in the mail?

*I know all the requirements to get the card...I'm not stupid.

Thats my question.
    Please help me figure it out.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that you would have to wait until you receive it in the mail. If you get accepted, you could call them and find out.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

that's incorrect. You can call Apple to order the computer and apply for the card at the same time. If you get accepted, you can apply the purchase to the card on the spot.

4. Shady899 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you bozz2006!!!
    I am getting a MacBook the reg price of $1,599,00 though today after school. :D
    w00!
    Im so happy! I CANT WAIT!

:apple::apple:My FIRST Mac...:) :apple::apple:

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

did you enter your student card number for the student discount?

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

it was a nightmare trying to get my mac pro with the student discount. Faxed photocopies of my student ID. Transcripts and enrollment papers from the registrar and business office because my ID didn't have the current year printed anywhere. class schedule pdf's emailed to Apple....

and for my macbook, all I had to do was select my school from the menu and that was that. lol.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think with a credit card (especially a new one, or one with a new number) you have to call a number, usually on a sticker on the card, and activate the card before it can be used. Supposedly it helps to safeguard against fraud.

8. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

When you apply online for the account and if your application is accepted you will be given an one time option to make a purchase. Should you wait, or close your brower you will then have to wait till the card arrives in the mail.

9. HSE Guest

I just got an email from Juniper that they're now offering 180 days no interest on Apple purchases (vs. the standard 90 days) til 12/31. Figures, I just applied and used it a few weeks ago on my MacBook purchase :rolleyes: I planned to pay it off before 90 days, though, so no biggie.

10. dpett006 macrumors newbie

My only word of advice to those that are considering getting and using Juniper Visa card: do a google search of Juniper Visa Card. I saw too many articles concerning outraged customers. I had planned on getting one myself, but was very hesitant after reading about it. After it was all said and done I decided to just save up the money and buy mine outright.

If you do choose the Juniper Visa Card I hope all goes well. But please be aware of some of the horror stories out there.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I did the 90 days no interest deal when I bought my PB. Paid it off before the interest kicked in and cut the card up. I had absolutely no problems with it but I only used it to buy the PB. I never used it for anything else (that's what my other Visa card with a way better APR is for).

12. Red Sox macrumors regular

Shady899,

There are many better cards out there that will give you 1 year no interest. Plus, you can find rewards that may suit you better than iTunes rewards (especially if you don't pay for music).

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Please do not get the Juniper card!!!!!

I just closed my account with them. I had the card for about a year, and they jumped my rate up to 28 percent and I have great credit! Worst credit card I have ever had, and their online payment website is worthless.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If $38 a month is the mininum payment, and that's all you can afford, I would suggest you wait. The minimum payment option should be called the maximum interest payment, because it will take you FOREVER to pay this thing off. Not forever like a car payment, forever like a mortgage.

Have you figured out exactly how much more it will cost you over the life of the loan to buy the machine using the card?

I'm an attorney who used to work for a lawfirm that went all over my state suing people for defaulting on their Discover card accounts, and I could easily fill this thread with tales of sorrow and woe from people who shouldn't have got, or shouldn't have kept credit cards. I'm also a gadget whore who can't resist shiny Apple products. Carefully read the terms of the application and know what you're getting into. By the time you finish paying off the debt making mininum payments, (assuming you don't screw up or fall victim to circumstance) you probably will have paid the equivalent of a mac pro with a cinema display.

15. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

But wait. We need people like the OP to keep the economy going ... ;)

Seriously, buying a computer with any loan is probably not the best thing to do. There are certain situations that it could be beneficial, but for the most part, you're going to pay for the computer several times before you're through.

I would suggest getting a card that offers 0% financing for x months and make sure you pay it off before the promotion expires. There's no point paying interest on an item with such a short lifespan.

Interest rates are dropping these days, but credit card rates remain high. If you have to borrow (which I still don't advocate), consider getting a low interest loan from a bank or something if possible. Or perhaps borrow from your parents (or guardian) and pay back over time.

$38/mo would take 3.5 years to pay off if there was no interest involved. If you take into account the credit card interest, I would guess $38/mo would take 8 to 10 years to pay off.

Don't fall into that trap. It could ruin your future.

16. EmptyCalm macrumors member

I always hated the fact that I used the juniper card to buy my macbook. although the gift cards are nice...

17. Shady899 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know everyone, I am not getting the card.
    Instead of ordering it online I decided Im going to drive down to the local BestBuy and buy one and some accessories instead of waiting like 1 week for them all to come in.

Thanks for the advice everyone though, really changed my mind.

Thanks again everyone, Luc (shady899)