Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello Guys...

My wife got a new PoweBook and I was wondering If I can use her power cord with my MacBook Pro... is it the same thing or my MBP has a different setting for the power coming in...

Thanks!!!

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
The PowerBook and MacBook Pro adapters are both different power ratings, and the plugs on the end are different. The PowerBook, if I remember correctly, has a round plug, and the MacBook Pro has the signature rectangular MagSafe plug.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
The PowerBook and MacBook Pro adapters are both different power ratings, and the plugs on the end are different. The PowerBook, if I remember correctly, has a round plug, and the MacBook Pro has the signature rectangular MagSafe plug.

Well the one that my wife got yesterday came with the power adapter very similar to the one I use in the MBP... it fits very nice but I'm concern about the power ratings...

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Hmm... The PB uses a 65watt adapter whilst the MBP uses 85. If the plugs fit (which I don't think they should, MBPs have MagSafe adaptors which are a different shape) then you may do damage to the battery charging and monitoring system. The battery will charge but not at efficiently and you may experience overheating of the power brick itself as the MBP tries to draw a higher charge.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
You can use any Magsafe adapter with any MacBook (MBP and MBA included). However, if you use the 60W (MacBook) Magsafe adapter on a MBP (instead of the included 85W adapter), charge times will increase, and under extended heavy load, the battery may not charge at all.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hmm... The PB uses a 65watt adapter whilst the MBP uses 85. If the plugs fit (which I don't think they should, MBPs have MagSafe adaptors which are a different shape) then you may do damage to the battery charging and monitoring system. The battery will charge but not at efficiently and you may experience overheating of the power brick itself as the MBP tries to draw a higher charge.

I think that the new macbooks are comming with MagSafe too... the one my wife got has it... but the difference between the wattage is something to look at.... thanks

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Ah if she has a MacBook then yeah it will have a MagSafe. But still the identical problem of the MacBook also uses a 65watt adaptor. You can run a MacBook from a 85watt MacBook Pro adapter although this can burn our your power management circuitry and even in extreme causes cause your battery to explode...

... not that I'm trying to panic anybody. Its just never safe to mix power ratings. Especially in Europe where the mains voltage is 240V not 120...

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Ah if she has a MacBook then yeah it will have a MagSafe. But still the identical problem of the MacBook also uses a 65watt adaptor. You can run a MacBook from a 85watt MacBook Pro adapter although this can burn our your power management circuitry and even in extreme causes cause your battery to explode...

... not that I'm trying to panic anybody. Its just never safe to mix power ratings. Especially in Europe where the mains voltage is 240V not 120...

Thanks!!!...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.