About the MagSafe charger.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BlindSoul, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello,

I read today on wikipedia there are reports saying the apple magsafe doesn't work on the macbooks very well, and I plan buying a 2010 used one, I was wondering on what models it doesn't work? And if there's any resolve to that yet.

Thank you very much!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Magsafe works fine on Macbooks. You should buy one that provides at least 60 Watts.

3. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't get it then, Why there are so many articles and it says that on Wikipedia? There must be some model which don't work with the MagSafe...

4. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

nope. they can work well !

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Never had any issue and I have two....One for my MBA and one for my Pro...Different wattages though, so make sure you buy the correct charger for your machine.

6. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I forgot to mention but I am talking about the White Macbook model.

7. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

As perfect as Apple makes themselves appear to be, there are going to be faulty or defective units making their way past qc when you look at shear quantity of items. We're talking millions oc units every year.

And Wikipedia? One article isn't representative of every magsafe charger sold.

I use a handful of different chargers on different machines all the time. Only problem that I had was when my pup chewed through the cord.

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure about the article in question, but there were a lot of issues with the older "T" version of the adapters, which turned out to be pretty faulty over time. There would be strains in the cables or the very rare fire was started from the adapter.

Apple set up a program from a class action settlement for owners of these adapters that show strain and damage to replace them for the current (and been current for a while) model. The strain relief damage just happened to my adapter a couple weeks ago and I have a brand new cable free of charge.

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

This. Just because a few users out of millions have issues, doesn't mean that everyone does. Also, the "L" shaped charger is much more reliable than the "T" Charger, as stated before. So if you buy a refurbished 2010 model, you'll be fine.