Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xylian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
I have a question for you about the ExpressCard slot of the new MacBook Pros.. I'm going to buy (maybe today) my first Mac and I'd like to buy the 17", since I need a portable desktop replacement... one of the reasons why I'd like to buy the 17" (apart from the very nice screen resolution) is that it has an ExpressCard slot which enables you (I hope) to expand the capabilities of your MBP in the future... My question is if the ExpressCard is version 1 or 2, because I'd like to buy in the future an ExpressCard with USB 3 ports and only the ExpressCard 2 can support the specifications of USB 3 (5 Gbps), is it right? Do you think there will be USB 3 ExpressCards for the MBPs?

Thank you in advance for your answers :)

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
the MBP itself with intel hardware will not support usb 3.0 so i dont think the issue is with the expresscard slot

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
the MBP itself with intel hardware will not support usb 3.0 so i dont think the issue is with the expresscard slot

There are already USB 3.0 express cards so there should be no hardware issue, however, there would be a driver issue as there is no current USB 3.0 driver for OSX, at least to my knowledge. This could change in the future. Additionally, whatever (if any) new i/o ports come on future Macs, there's a good bet that express slot could be used for this purpose.

Xylian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
I'd really like to know it it is ExpressCard 2 compliant or not, but it seems very difficult to find this information...

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I'd really like to know it it is ExpressCard 2 compliant or not, but it seems very difficult to find this information...

I think the best way would be to call up an apple tech for this info not to ask someone at the store. Haven't looked if the take apart sites specify anything on the expresscard.

tommyknockrs

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010

Since ExpressCard 1.0 requires to be able to ride either the PCI-e bus or USB 2.0 Bus, I am pretty confident that the new 2010 MBP's do not have Expresscard 2.0. Expresscard 2.0 needs to be able to ride on a USB 3.0 and PCI-e 2.0 bus. Also Intel is not fully adopting usb 3.0 in their chipsets till later 2010 or even into 2011.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/04/nvidia-confirms-intel-chipsets-wont-support-usb-3-0-until-2011/

I think Intel is trying to trump Usb 3.0 with their Light Peak connection
thus starting another connector war.

Xylian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Since ExpressCard 1.0 requires to be able to ride either the PCI-e bus or USB 2.0 Bus, I am pretty confident that the new 2010 MBP's do not have Expresscard 2.0. Expresscard 2.0 needs to be able to ride on a USB 3.0 and PCI-e 2.0 bus. Also Intel is not fully adopting usb 3.0 in their chipsets till later 2010 or even into 2011.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/04/nvidia-confirms-intel-chipsets-wont-support-usb-3-0-until-2011/

I think Intel is trying to trump Usb 3.0 with their Light Peak connection
thus starting another connector war.
Thank you very much, these are sad news for me... Maybe I'll better buy a base 15 MBP and sell it next year to buy an MBP 17" with some new technology (USB 3, lightpeak, ecc).. I'm not very happy with the last update, poor GPU peformance and no interesting news apart the ix CPUs..Maybe also quadcore CPUs will enter MBPs next year, leading to a real jump in processing Power (the real next level).. Ok, stop dreaming on MBPs :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.