About the new 2.2 Safari UI Layout.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 25, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It looks just like the desktop Safari now and I believe the top area is smaller so you can see more of the webpage at a time. I kinda like it now. It definitely reminds me more of the desktop version of Safari. At first I hated it, but now I kinda like it. Anyone here still hate it?

Actually... I guess I was wrong about it being smaller now.
    [​IMG]

Edit: it doesn't show "http://" anymore either

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I'm 50-50. I hate how if you click on the Google side you can't quickly switch to the address bar.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think John Gruber summed it up pretty well

It is a good read and he does go on to suggest the reasons behind it and some benefits

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, the more I think about it... the more I find it odd that Apple changed it. I like the 2.1 version of the layout now... hmm. I wonder if I could hack the new Safari to have the old title bar...... hmmmmmm.

5. pj rage macrumors 6502

I prefer the old one but don't care too much. I wish the google was on the left still, and location on the right. That would make more sense. It looks backwards to me.

6. efice32 macrumors 6502

you can if you're in landscape mode

7. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Safari crashes less and that's all I care about really. It doesn't make a difference to me how they laid it out... I can get used to that. :D

8. daisuke07 macrumors regular

i hate that too and at first i hated it but ive grown to like it

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Gruber guesses that some people MAY have been confused by the magnifying glass.

I can tell you for a fact that he's right. Heck, I even knew what it is and I'd often think that it meant "search this page" like Command-F does on the Mac. I mean, if I could often forget, I imagine people who don't know at all would think that too.

I liked the old layout, but I think it's better to SEE the search bar with "google" in it the whole time. I imagine it's a better experience for most people.

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just installed MobileSafari from Firmware 2.1 onto my iPod touch running 2.2 Jailbroken. It works! Sweet.

If anyone wants to try it, just pwn Firmware 2.1 and rename the custom restore.ipsw file to .zip and expand it. Then open the first Disk Image in that folder and drag MobileSafari.app to the iPhone with SSH and change the permissions to 775. Done. Sweet, I like the old setup.

11. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

2.2 layout is definitely much better.
    I wish the Google search field kept the search terms inside when you searched, like regular Safari (or any browser).

12. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I assume that it uses the system wide webkit api so that it is still as stable as the new version, but with the old interface. Have you seen any stability problems?