About The New 24" L.C.D. - Running Clamshell or Open?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shoopaman, Dec 17, 2008.

1. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

For those of us with the new display:

I ran it closed when I first got it. But started to worry that the thin glass panel may begin to deform, maybe (even the slightest chance that it might) due to the heat. One can try by feeling the screen after running it clamshell for few hours vs, running it open-lid. I like it much better when my screen isn't so hot.:eek:

How are you running yours? I am only running it open-lid now. ;) I'm so used to only having 15.5" of real-estate on my MBP... and after converting to the new L.C.D. football field... don't know what to do with all the space :confused:

So, this brings up another question: does anyone know how to setup the MBP screen to run screensaver mode while running all your tasks on the 24" screen? or is this even possible? if so please advise~:)

2. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

It shouldn't hurt the MBP to run it in clamshell but if you want you can close the MBP lid to sleep it with the display connected then use an external keyboard/mouse to wake it in clamshell mode and then open lid The MBP screen will stay off until you press detect displays in the display tab in sys. preferences.

3. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

You are probably right. It wouldn't hurt it that much... I know about running it sleep mode but it just looks better running it closed. Thank you for the information :)

4. maxb macrumors member

maxb

Personally, at the beginning I've used open mode with my macbook but I got tired of the screen quality major difference between the two displays.

I realized that running the macbook upside down solved the heating problem and I'm happy with my setup now.

Attached Files:

5. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

6. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Nice setup.... upside down? hopefully to a nice surface;)

7. maxb macrumors member

maxb

the metal brackets are covered with transparent tape so it's not scratching the top.

8. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I like that setup man! Where did you get the metal brackets?

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The glass ( as mentioned by the OP ) will not deform... Glass is a strong substance, a little heat will not affect it.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I do the same as you, keep my mbp in closed lid, sleep it and wake up the 24" acd then leave the mbp's screen open to release the heat.

I also noticed using the mbp with the screen open seems to keep the mbp cooler.

11. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

A bit OT, but your wallmount for the LED Cinema Display - what/where/how much? Looks brilliant!

12. bielen macrumors regular

I have a unibody MacBook Pro and keep the lid closed ever since I purchased the laptop in October. I'm using the LapTuk stand which I really find handy to save desk space.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hey that's pretty bad ass. I might have to order that!

14. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

I like it!

15. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@maxb

Hot damn, I love the setup you've got. I really want an Apple LED Display one day... As a student it's a bit tricky to dropping that kind of cash on a display (when I just got an amazing 22" Samsung for $150...), but I certainly respect/envy those who can justify it, haha.

I see you're one of those people that enjoy the Mighty Mouse... That chunk of white plastic throws off the zen of your aluminum workspace though, haha. But like I said, very nice and very clean, well done.

Hmm, nice. I've been eyeing that company for awhile since they used to have a similar stand except for the Apple keyboards.

Anyone have a pic of a Laptuk stand with just a Macbook under it? Wondering how empty it looks...

I think I might engineer a nice metal stand for my Macbook myself... I always use it in closed lid mode, so I'd make a monitor stand with two levels... Bottom level for the Logitech Dinovo keyboard, upper level for the Macbook, and then the monitor on top of the whole thing.

Efficiency!

16. Gordy macrumors 6502a

How do you go about turning the macbook pro on. Surely when pulling it out from under the stand you have to remove the cables?

Seems like a pain?

If you can do it without removing the cables I'm tempted!

17. bielen macrumors regular

I use Insomnia to when putting the Mac to sleep. All I have to do is click the mouse or touch the keyboard to awake the system. Once configured properly, it works really well.

When I want to go mobile with the Mac, I simply unplug the cables. When returning back to LapTuk, you must always put it in Sleep mode with Insomnia before reconnecting the cables.

18. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, it seems like a bit of a pain to do each time I come back to my desk. I move mine a couple of times a day so its not a setup for me.

Thanks again.