About the new rumored Macbook: Why it is not surprising

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Augure, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Augure macrumors regular

I have been using Apple product since I'm 8 (I had a Macintosh), and I've had lots of iPod and Power/Macbook through my teenage. Also in parrallel I have the chance to study marketing, business intelligence and sociology.

tl;dr: It absolutelly make sense in term of market strategy that Apple won't innovate at all anymore, won't even provide better or even up-to-date specs, because they don't need to (thanks to the new majority of customers of the mainstream market, and the best PR/Marketing strategy to make fanboys accept it) and the need for Apple to grow in number while cutting costs on new markets like Brasil and China to counter Microsoft and Google.

So whatever hypocritical or noob fanboys say, here is the situation of Apple: Apple built its success on better products for better people. Pretty much like a trend is at first adopted by sensitive, knowledgable, smart people but then it gets adopted by less sensitive, knowledgable, smart people, and less and less...until it becomes mainstream.

That's what's happening: Apple has always been expensive but for good reasons, their products were qualitative in terms of software (more stable and few bugs, snow leopard being the best) and hardware (durable material, I had a Powerbook and old Macbook pro for 6 years) and innovative (they brought tons of new and RELEVANT features for the user experience with each update, and made the design evolve with almost each iteration).

But that was all Steve Jobs, and you must be damn stupid and naive to think it will be the same now. In fact just look at the period when SJ was fired from Apple by stockholders. Well now he is defunct. And the fact that the stockholder didn't choose Jon Ive (design engineer) or Scott Forstall (software engineer) but Tim Cook (stock/distribution manager) should say it all: Apple doesn't do qualititative or innovative products anymore and they don't need to.

Today, Apple has reach the mainstream market and has developed the best PR strategy. Typically the most recent users are dumb, ignorant and influencable to the point where you can make them accept to be screwed by rationnalizing things that would be otherwise indefendable. The market strategy for Apple, in order to counter attack Android or Microsoft strategies who are first on their respective market, is not innovation anymore but mass selling on new markets like China or Brasil. Sell more and innovate less to cut cost.

So if the next iteration of Macbook Pro only had Ivy Bridge (which all laptop now have), Intel HD 4000 but no real graphic card, 2 USB 3.0 (which all computer now have), no SSD, no new design (4 years after this one was released), no retina display, and more over because that's what we forget, no innovation/new thing that other laptops don't have...it doesn't surprise me.

2. Duckypoos macrumors member

You would be sooo much fun to share a pint with :confused:

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Your entire point is negated by the fact that it's based on this fact that I quoted, which is incorrect. The "stockholder", as you put it, did not choose Tim Cook. Steve Jobs picked him as the successor. Tim Cook has been running Apple day-to-day for many years even when Steve Jobs was still alive, since he was on sick-leave for long periods leading up to his sad demise.

4. emacna1 macrumors regular

theSeb is right.

Also, do you think that Apple doesn't want to innovate? I can guarantee you that everyone working there wants to make the best, and to do everything they can to bring the future of technology to the masses.

5. maswriter macrumors member

maswriter

First, it's a mistake to draw conclusions about Apple's new products until they are announced. Second, every company has to balance innovation with what is familiar and acceptable to their target customers. As revolutionary as the iPhone and iPad are, they still drew upon existing products. (For example, companies have tried creating tablet computers for years. Apple found a way to make them usable and affordable.)

Steve Jobs was a great innovator, but he had his fair share of mistakes. (I worked for an Apple software developer in the 1980s. The stories I can tell you about the Apple III and Lisa...) So, don't get down on Tim Cook for not being Steve Jobs. In many respects, that could be a good thing.

6. Augure thread starter macrumors regular

Your entire point is negated by the fact that YOU are actually wrong, and also proves my point about fanboys being completely manipulated by PR: not only is there no source or proof showing that Steve Jobs appointed Tim Cook, but also it is impossible that he made this decision all by himself, the stockholder are the ones who vote and their vote count more than the CEOs. Steve Jobs himself was elected CEO and then board member by stockholders.

But your post show even beyond the PR manipulation: your whole logic is flawed and typical of the mass people manipulated by media to think in a way that can easily be debunked. Or put simply: even if Tim Cook was appointed by Steve Jobs only, it wouldn't change the rest of my point nor invalidate it.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OP, sounds like your argument is "I'm right, you're wrong, and I don't care what you think, I'm just going to be offensive and preachy anyways." We don't need you here, and I think if you're going to keep that attitude up, it'd be best if you found, I dunno, a MicrosoftRumors forum that might be more interested in your drivel.

Incidentally, I just looked through some of your post history, and it's unfortunately quite unsurprising to see how many times you used the words "stupid," "fanboy," or other similar phrases intended only to belittle and insult. How you haven't been banned is beyond me.

jW

8. mrogersscf macrumors member

The PC landscape may look like it lacks competitive pressure - but that is largely due to Apple's dominance in product design and cost structure. If either of these fall behind, Apple will fall behind (as it did a decade ago). Cook, et. Al - can clearly see the history of Apple and I would assume they recognize that innovation is a major component of Apple's success. I would also note, if these latest price leaks are real - Apple is setting itself up to experience price pressure from the competition, especially with Windows 8 on the horizon (Brian J. White of Topeka Capital Markets report not withstanding).

----------

This comment is at best anecdotal. You sound no better than the "fan boys" you seek to repudiate. I find this comment to be fairly offensive.

Further:
    Influenceable has an extra "e"
    Rationalizing has one "n"
    Indefensible - I assume this is what you mean when you write "indefendable."

See? We can all play the "we're all dumb" game.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I have been using Apple product since I'm 8 (I had a Macintosh), and I've had lots of iPod and Power/Macbook through my teenage. Also in parrallel I have the chance to study marketing, business intelligence and sociology.

Anytime someone leads off their brick of text with a qualifier like this you know nothing really that good is going to follow. Early warning was given.

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Did you read Steve's biography? I think you missed a lot. There's proof, you've just ignored it is all.

11. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs 'did' appoint Cook. With the boards approval and the stock holders approval. So Cook was 'approved' by the stock holders as they called for Apple to have a 'succession plan' in place because of Steve's health. That plan was approved by the stock holders, the board ratified it. Guess who came up with the 'succession plan'. Thats right Steve Jobs.

No one is manipulated by PR here. Seems that you are though. Of coarse Cook wants to innovate. Without innovation, your company will die a slow death, Cook knows this. Nor would he not 'want' to innovate. But you have to innovate where it makes sense.

Ive put it best 'we will not make a product to just to make a product, if we cannot make it BETTER'.

Their current lineup 'leaks' supports that fact. You're misguided 'rants' not withstanding. Read Jobs bio, good read, seems you missed it.