About the Official Apple In-Ear Headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JosephDuffy, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm looking at the in ear headphones on ( eBay and have noticed they say iPod's and 3Gs, will they work on a 3G? With all the features? Including what looks like the volume up/down?
    Do these look legit? They are opened, but still pretty cheap :/
    Peace Out
    Joseph Duffy

2. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

i believe volume controls work only on the 3gs...

3. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

ya, the volume controls do not work on anything but the 3GS (some ipods too, dunno which ones).

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Look on the bright side. If they are fakes, then there's at least a fighting chance they'll have decent sound quality. If they're the real Apple ones, then not so much. You'd have to be pretty much tone deaf to enjoy the real Apple set. :D

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

That's actually not true. The Apple In Ears are actually decent. They are my backup IEMs to my Sennheiser IE7s (which are currently broken), and the Apple In Ears are very underrated. They are a bit bright, but with a proper EQ (should never need one, but oh well) they sound great.

6. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Do you, or anyone else know if it'll be possible to use the volume control with the 3G? Say in a future update, like they added Video Edit to the 3G?
    Also, the main Play/Pause etc still work on a 3G, right?
    Cheers guys ;)
    Joseph Duffy

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Everything works on the 3G but the volume.

I think it was discussed a while back that volume control was related to a hardware connection in the 3GS headphone port, and is not software based.

8. Paul B macrumors 6502

eBay listings for Apple In-Ear Headphones:
    1) $25.99 + $4.95 shipping - seller: eugenethe11great (364 feedback, 98.7% positive)
    2) $39.99 + free shipping - seller: 7dime (364 feedback, 100% positive)

Has anyone bought either of these before? Are they the real deal?

9. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

I have a pair of these and I do think for the price that the sound is quite decent. However the big caveat is that you need to have them placed in the ear just right and the slightest movement and the quality is lost. I use with the smallest size fitting and it's perhaps slightly too small, the medium is already too large.

I also have a pair of the V-Mode things, they sit very well in the ear but have a awful woofy bass sound whereas the Apple's a relatively neutral.

I'd probably look for some Shure ones next time instead.

10. boston44 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I like the Apple in ears over a lot of other brands, even if everyone trashes them.